Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
19 Mar
12:46pm, 19 Mar 2024
10,940 posts
  •  
Fields
My dad got one of his wrong I think (I his words perhaps that’s why I need to set one of these up)
19 Mar
12:47pm, 19 Mar 2024
49,651 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, in Scotland they give you pro forma legally legalese wording (hithertofores and aforementioneds etc!) to copy and use. Machine better if it's just blanks and facts to fill in, Well done E&W. :-) G
19 Mar
12:47pm, 19 Mar 2024
49,652 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
*Much better
jda
19 Mar
2:02pm, 19 Mar 2024
16,722 posts
  •  
jda
Yeah the English system seemed pretty straightforward though you don’t have the option of just one doc for all affairs financial and welfare.
19 Mar
2:11pm, 19 Mar 2024
5,749 posts
  •  
icemaiden
My dad's health and welfare one was refused on the grounds that the doctor who signed it in hospital had altered the date and not initialled the change. She had written a zero and changed it to a thick one. Same pen, at the time she filled it in. We didn't see her do it as she was doing us a favour by doing it at all. £82 down the drain. I challenged it but they would not have it. Do not do them on paper. Do them online. In the event we didn't need it but ...
19 Mar
2:33pm, 19 Mar 2024
16,590 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
We’re in the process of doing paper PoAs, it seemed easier for Dad - although he’s still getting very confused about who has to sign what where. Out of interest, how do you go about getting things signed if it’s done online?
jda
19 Mar
2:39pm, 19 Mar 2024
16,724 posts
  •  
jda
When we did it a few months ago you still had to print out and sign multiply before posting off a physical copy. But the content was all filled in via a webpage.
19 Mar
5:03pm, 19 Mar 2024
18,585 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I did them for mum, dad and J paid for a solicitor. We have our wills done, they were free with a legacy for Cancer research.

I will do our POA myself when we have moved and settled
20 Mar
9:51am, 20 Mar 2024
7,358 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Round at mum's waiting for guy to come to remove the stairlift. Feeling slightly melancholic.
20 Mar
10:10am, 20 Mar 2024
67,261 posts
  •  
LindsD
I hated all those 'people coming to remove things' TR. Hugs

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.