Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
20 Mar
10:18am, 20 Mar 2024
53,886 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Understandable TR, my sympathies
20 Mar
5:54pm, 20 Mar 2024
32,293 posts
  •  
macca 53
It’s a very strange, empty time isn’t it ThorntonRunner. You have my sympathies.
20 Mar
10:23pm, 20 Mar 2024
7,360 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Thanks all.
Had a call from the funeral directors this afternoon - they've had to bring forward the funeral by half an hour, the crematorium had double booked.

It's a council run crematorium, and about three weeks ago the council suffered a cyber attack that they're still recovering from. When we first saw the fds after mum died, they said they were having to visit the council offices in person as phone and email were down, and it seems in using a paper system instead of their normal setup the crematorium made a mistake.
Fortunately it's not for another three weeks so the change doesn't cause any problems.
20 Mar
10:53pm, 20 Mar 2024
74,792 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Wow you seem to have a long wait time for funerals down south.
21 Mar
7:18am, 21 Mar 2024
18,603 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We waited 4 weeks for Jens funeral
21 Mar
7:18am, 21 Mar 2024
67,276 posts
  •  
LindsD
We don't have enough crematoria. At least not in densely populated places. I think we waited 5.
21 Mar
7:48am, 21 Mar 2024
74,794 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
That's so tough, that's a long time to have closure. We think it's long if we have to wait 2wks. Only one crematorium here
21 Mar
9:28am, 21 Mar 2024
4,503 posts
  •  
jabberknit
It was a 4 week wait for Mum's funeral for us here in a slightly different part of Leicestershire to ThorntonRunner and there are 2 recently built crematoria near us.
21 Mar
3:33pm, 21 Mar 2024
10,956 posts
  •  
Fields
Dad’s POA came back today so just registered it online.

While doing so, I realise they have misspelt the town I live in - the last 4 letters are HTON when it should be NTON.

This is going to be a problem isn’t it. I have let my Dad know, by the time we get it sorted with the correct details we are going to actually need to use the thing!
CK2
21 Mar
4:56pm, 21 Mar 2024
2,676 posts
  •  
CK2
I actually found a few weeks wait for dad’s funeral helpful in preparing for it - mentally and physically. There was so much to do!

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.