Cricket Thread

5 lurkers | 104 watchers
22 Jul
10:37pm, 22 Jul 2024
9,180 posts
  •  
Pothunter
6-and-out only ever belongs in garden cricket. Our addendum was that you also had to fetch the ball from over the wall. That was probably more of a deterrent than getting out!
23 Jul
8:22am, 23 Jul 2024
21,546 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Dear Dallas Cowboys. We hear you like sports. We hear you have some money and we seem to have lost all of ours. Please help. Love, the ECB.

bbc.co.uk
um
23 Jul
8:22am, 23 Jul 2024
8,699 posts
  •  
um
Souns like the cricket club has been a bit slow helping with repairs?
But yes, netting would help.
Do modern bats mean the ball is hit significanlty further, so the problem is getting worse?

(in similar news I see plenty of people parking right next to some local (New Forest) grounds. Maybe I'm odd, but if a game is on, I tend not to leave my car in the firing line)
23 Jul
8:27am, 23 Jul 2024
34,036 posts
  •  
HellsBells
When my youngest was playing juniors they had a very good young batter. They played an away match at a ground surrounded by housing and the young star put two balls through the same car’s windows. The car was his dad’s…….
23 Jul
9:23am, 23 Jul 2024
7,591 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
A few years back our captain put a ball throught the rear windscreen of the umpire's car - not sure we got many decisions after that 🤣🤣
23 Jul
9:28am, 23 Jul 2024
7,592 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I think society's approach has changed in recent years - people are less willing to accept that sometimes these things just happen, and now want redress for every little thing.

It happens round here as well - the cricket club's been there for decades, new houses get built nearby and people move in and complain about balls from the cricket club. Well, the club was there first - it should have been part of your decision making process, alongside where's the local school and how busy is the road.
23 Jul
9:29am, 23 Jul 2024
39,313 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Society has also changed in that lots and lots of people try to walk the shortest distance possible all times.
23 Jul
9:42am, 23 Jul 2024
7,593 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Three clubs close in our area - one closed down as the small team keeping it going couldn't cope with the hassle our fight back against demands for high fencing (which was miles out of their ability to pay for), one no longer has Saturday games or a league team and the other has a belligerent chairman who's fighting back (you wouldn't buy a house under a flight path and then demand the airport closed so why buy a house next to a cricket club...)
23 Jul
9:42am, 23 Jul 2024
7,594 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
[Ignore the first close in the above]
23 Jul
9:49am, 23 Jul 2024
7,595 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
[I'm jumping between this discussion and a discussion of the same article on our club's WhatsApp group]
One of our guys used to play for a team in Sheffield. Someone walking by the ground got hit by a six, council said you need high netting. Club put in planning application - was rejected as netting would be an eyesore. Club had to abandon the ground and find new home after having in recent years invested £1m in improvements :(

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP