Cricket Thread

104 watchers
25 Jun
7:13pm, 25 Jun 2024
39,068 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
They were talking about the women's Afghanistan team on the radio. I think it's pretty difficult to work something out, you either continue as now, to highlight it, or you ban the men's team to apply pressure. I wouldn't be so sure the Afghan leaders will be taking much notice of either.

You might support a women's consisting if players currently living outside of the country. Not too sure that's feasible.
25 Jun
9:47pm, 25 Jun 2024
4,828 posts
  •  
phal
Mainly not feasible because most of the players have been exiled and were under threat of being killed because they’d been playing cricket….

Australia have refused to play Afghanistan in the past. Quite a few of the Afgani women team have gone to Australia I believe for safety.
25 Jun
9:50pm, 25 Jun 2024
4,829 posts
  •  
phal
Missed a couple of commas in that last sentence around I believe. 🤪

Have gone to Australia, I believe, for safety.

It has to keep being talked about because it’s bloody important. I doubt the Afgani leaders give a shit about it being talked about though - they banned South Africa from playing internationally because of apartheid. Maybe banning the men’s team is the way forward to make a strong point.
25 Jun
11:42pm, 25 Jun 2024
9,011 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I have to say the calls for “keep politics out of sport” (not related to this specifically, but as a generalisation) don’t sit very well with me as a Saffa. The sporting isolation was an effective tool to fight apartheid.

The Afghan situation is tricky though because the success of the men is definitely helping to draw attention to the issues faced by the women, whereas if they’d been banned completely I very much doubt we’d give them a second thought on this thread (although more likely on the politics thread)
26 Jun
12:17am, 26 Jun 2024
22,511 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Most of the Afghan mens side no longer reside in Afghanistan.

There will be no new players to follow the current team
26 Jun
12:51pm, 26 Jun 2024
7,520 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Too hot to do much today so settling down to watch Eng v NZ - women's ODI :)
26 Jun
1:00pm, 26 Jun 2024
10,490 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Surrey eventually finished the job against Worcs just before lunch. 36 runs for the last wicket, falling five runs short of making us pad-up again this afternoon.
26 Jun
1:21pm, 26 Jun 2024
21,274 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
43 off a single over in the county championship - check out the 58th over:

espncricinfo.com
26 Jun
1:25pm, 26 Jun 2024
21,275 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Louis Kimber currently on track to destroy the record for fastest county championship 200 AFAICT.
26 Jun
1:26pm, 26 Jun 2024
19,128 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Cerrertonia wrote:43 off a single over in the county championship - check out the 58th over: espncricinfo.com
Kept the strike nicely too.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP