Coronavirus discussion thread

1 lurker | 136 watchers
Jul 2021
8:49am, 20 Jul 2021
15,728 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
Sadly, I believe what Cumming said is probably true. But it changes nothing, and it's only an embittered man trying to show how clever he is in comparison. It's only words.

What is more important for the majority of us is that we continue to support each other, help each other, be kind to each other, look out for each other. The best think that's come out of Covid-19 so far is the increased consideration for other people! (Although it also highlights a number of sociopaths in our midst!)
Jul 2021
9:00am, 20 Jul 2021
39,249 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Did anyone hear or see any of the interviews with the folk clubbing on Sunday night/ Monday morning? Very... interesting to hear those young people's views. (Radio 4, the evening news show PM, if you want to hear on iPlayer - one in London, one in Newcastle, one in Leeds.)

One quote was "Yes, I accept that it's a risk - and I loved it." or something. Hmmm. But the problem is it's not just *your* risk.

I don't blame the young people (and these were all young, late teens or early 20s), I blame the government for not getting the guidance and regulations right.

Is it the case that the USA just banned travel to and from UK?
um
Jul 2021
9:05am, 20 Jul 2021
4,936 posts
  •  
um
I think there's been a ban from UK to US since March last year HappyG.
That's never been lifted.

But US residents can travel - although US CDC did raise the level this week, Americans should avoid traveling to the U.K. because of a surge in that nation’s spread of Covid-19, U.S. government and health officials warned.

The U.S. State Department issued its “do not travel” statement after the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention boosted its travel alert to “Very High,” citing a surge in cases that puts even fully vaccinated travelers at risk for contracting and spreading coronavirus variants. Any travelers to the U.K. should wear a mask and stay at least 6 feet (1.8 meters) from other people, the CDC said.
Jul 2021
9:09am, 20 Jul 2021
39,251 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks for clarification um. It's interesting to see how we are viewed by other (important) countries. :-) G
Jul 2021
9:14am, 20 Jul 2021
2,804 posts
  •  
B Rubble
A friend of mine who lives in Canada says they are looking at us as an experiment on what will happen if they open up (the UK petri dish). After a slow start they are up to similar levels of vaccination as we are.
Jul 2021
9:29am, 20 Jul 2021
25,462 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The biggest sociopath is in Number 10.
Jul 2021
9:41am, 20 Jul 2021
15,226 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Yip my issue the whole time that we never controlled our borders you’re all welcome here come on over. Where as other countries are much more cautious on who can travel.

And yes I believe a lot of what Cummings said will hold truth but as I say you stand up at the time not after unless he says Boris threatened his life to speak out.

It was the hot about Boris wanting to visit the queen that I heard. Quite unbelievable say one thing do another. But then that’s the way of the politicians isn’t it.
Jul 2021
12:31pm, 20 Jul 2021
25,463 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Update from the US Centre for Disease Control:

"Key Information for Travelers to the United Kingdom

Avoid travel to the United Kingdom.
If you must travel to the United Kingdom, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel.
Because of the current situation in the United Kingdom, even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants. "
Jul 2021
1:26pm, 20 Jul 2021
4,761 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I don't think it's whistleblowing unless you speak out whilst it's going on in the hope that doing so will change something for the better.
Jul 2021
1:27pm, 20 Jul 2021
1,027 posts
  •  
Jubear
Hi folks. I need to get a PCR test - assuming I feel well enough to do so, can I cycle to the nearest walk-in test centre?

Gov.uk sort of implies that I may...

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.