Book Group

4 lurkers | 131 watchers
29 Apr
6:52pm, 29 Apr 2024
22,490 posts
  •  
Columba
Another one here struggling with ID. About half-way through, but I do intend to finish it. However, it may take me until the end of May.
30 Apr
9:30am, 30 Apr 2024
8,733 posts
  •  
westmoors
I'm probably 2/3 through ID. I will finish it.
30 Apr
10:14am, 30 Apr 2024
54,048 posts
  •  
McGoohan
A result: the Zevin book is in Reigate library and Liebling is on her way to collect it for me :-)
30 Apr
10:19am, 30 Apr 2024
21,359 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I've finished it, albeit a few years back. I think the whole American literary regionalism as discussed on Backlisted recently, shines a light on it. I think it's harder to read and make sense of without the context of the opening book "The sportswriter" which is the most focused of them all. The Sportswriter is firmly in post Updike territory and not far removed from the Rabbit books, but whereas Rabbit is quite consistent in tone, the Bascombe saga is notable for how each book changes in nature, as the stakes get smaller.

I think it kind of mirrors life, where we are when we're young and we have this driving purpose and ambition, that children and/or middle age kind of takes away from us and just being becomes more important. By the third book, "Lay of the land", Frank is "just" living, the incidents described are smaller, the whole landscape looms large, the coastal setting. Does it colour him, the people around him? Living in East Cornwall I definitely think the landscape has a strong determinant on people's characters (and not necessarily in a good way). Independence day has a haunting/disturbing incident near/at the end of the book which "colours" how you see the rest of the book, and it's necessary to read the whole thing. But it's kind of wordy, rambling, overly discursive at times so I appreciate many might not have the patience.

And yeah it's not as good as "Canada" Ford's late career highlight, which starts with the line: ""First, I'll tell you about the robbery our parents committed. Then about the murders, which happened later." and perhaps because Canada is set away from a familiar landscape, the landscape cannot dominate the writing in the same way.
30 Apr
10:35am, 30 Apr 2024
85,771 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Although Ford takes great care to set Independence Day in firmly the Eastern seaboard where the action takes place, I didn't feel that the landscape dominated in anyway. I felt that it was more about what it is to be American and how that is changing. I found strong echoes of the Simon & Garfunkel song, America, the idea of the interstates and turnpikes being full of travellers looking for America and looking for themselves. Frank is travelling old routes and seeing them afresh. There's something about the rootlessness of American people, people restlessly searching for a new home and a new start that seems key to the story. That's what Frank is doing, countered by the appearance of his long-lost brother who has developed an obsession about the importance of continuity in life.
30 Apr
11:14am, 30 Apr 2024
21,360 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm thinking more of "Lay of the land" and "Let me be frank with you" - but it's years since I read them. "Let me be Frank with you" deals with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Independence Day deals with his "existence period" and Lay of the Land with the "permanent period" and he ends up at his "default period". Maybe it's because the last one deals with the hurricane more and that's how I remember it.
30 Apr
12:01pm, 30 Apr 2024
21,363 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Perceptive review here of Ford's fourth Bascombe book (referencing ones before): oregonlive.com
30 Apr
1:09pm, 30 Apr 2024
67,706 posts
  •  
LindsD
I am intending to read it, but waiting for the library to have it.
30 Apr
1:11pm, 30 Apr 2024
67,707 posts
  •  
LindsD
Damn! It is in the library and I cycled past today. That's annoying.
1 May
8:43pm, 1 May 2024
45,476 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Just read about Paul Auster 😢 Rip

google.com

I had been thinking of reading one of his books anyone read him. Any you recommend

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
The Fetch Everyone Book Group

September 2024 book

Welcome to Season Seven

September 2024 (The Greppler)
Florida Roadkill (Tim Dorsey)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/florida-roadkill---book-group-september-2024-discussion-thread-63210
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11489

August 2024 (The Scribbler)
A Thousand Ships (Natalie Haynes)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/a-thousand-ships---august-2024-book-group-discussion-thread-63153
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11435

July 2024 (Fetch)
The Cranes That Build The Cranes (Jeremy Dyson)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-cranes-that-build-the-cranes---by-jeremy-dyson---july-2024-book-group-discussion-thread-63104
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11364

June 2024 (Dio)
Bournville (Jonathan Coe)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/bournville-by-jonathan-coe---book-group-june-2024-discussion-thread-63061
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11356

May 2024 (Quimby)
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (Gabrielle Zevin)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-storied-life-of-a-j-fikry---may-2024-book-group-discussion-thread-63033
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11337

April 2024 (Maclennane)
Independence Day (Richard Ford)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/independence-day-by-richard-ford---april-2024-book-group-choice-63006
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11269

March 2024 (Chrisull)
The High House (Jessie Greengrass)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-high-house-by-jessie-greengrass---march-2024-fetch-book-group-discussion-thread-62965
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11192

February 2024 (Linds)
Severance (Ling Ma)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/severance-by-ling-ma---feb-2024-book-group-discussion-thread-62917
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11165

January 2024 (Night-owl)
The Rabbit Factor (Antti Tuomainen (Author), David Hackston (Translator))
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-rabbit-factor---jan-2024-book-group-discussion-62892
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11119

December 2023 (Serendippers)
The Indisputable Existence of Santa Claus (Hannah Fry and Thomas Oleron Evans)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-indisputable-existence-of-santa-claus---december-2023-book-group-discussion-thread-62852
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11004

November 2023 (Columba)
Watling Street (John Higgs)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/watling-street---nov-2023-book-group-dicussion-thread-62830
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10925

October 2023 (Little Nemo)
Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Toshikazu Kawaguchi trans. Geoffrey Trousselot)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/before-the-coffee-gets-cold---book-group---oct-2023-discussion-thread-62811
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10860

The last two months of Season Six:

September 2023 (westmoors)
Rabbit, Run (John Updike)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/rabbit-run-by-john-updike---book-group-sept-2023-discussion-thread-62786
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10848

August 2023 (Serendipps)
Queenie (Candice Carty-Williams)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/queenie-by-candice-carty-williams---august-2023-book-group-discussion-thread-62766
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10808

Currently Choosinating

Not yet chozzed:
Bint
McGoohan
Westmoors

Already chozzed:
Little Nemo
Columba
Serendippers
Night-owl
Linds
Chrisull
Maclennane
Quimby
Dio
Fetch
The Scribbler
Grepples

Earlier book choices and discussion threads
All previous runners and riders can be found on this thread here: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=58751

===

Fetch's Positronic My Book Listing Device!: fetcheveryone.com/mybooks.php

===

Discussion thread for all those unofficial but almost official books we discuss on the thread:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=59469

===

The Book Group motto: If you never take a chance with your reading you'll never read anything new or great

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,147 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here