BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
May 2008
10:08pm, 9 May 2008
586 posts
  •  
I would guess, although I have never done a tri, that cycling shoes, if used with clipless pedals would be far more efficient-faster for the bike section. You can pull up on the hills, but also in the saddle. How much would you loose changing?
May 2008
10:35pm, 9 May 2008
5,698 posts
  •  
idio
Biking in running shoes you will loose some of the power transfer by the soles absorbing some of the power. Thats why proper cycling shoes have a very stiff sole so none of this is lost.
May 2008
2:31am, 10 May 2008
33,851 posts
  •  
Hanneke
5 minutes at least... my bike shoes are a bugger to get on and off, with 3 velcros straps that I need to loosen completely to get in and out of them... also, the cleats have become a bit dody, especially the right one. I cannot tighten it anymore and then it wont clip in, so that is even worse, with no grip at all with one foot... I think I will loose more time changing shoes than I will riding in my racing flats... oh and it is Stratford, it is flat, no hills!!!
May 2008
7:10am, 10 May 2008
881 posts
  •  
GregP
Don't obsess with the 'pulling' side of going clipless, but the advantages are huge. This is true IMO not only with SPD ("mountain bike" clipless over nothing, but also with road pedals (SPD-SL, Look) over MTB ones...
May 2008
11:55am, 10 May 2008
33,855 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I hove look pedals and in the beginning I found them a pain and did not notice the difference, but now that I have been using them more, I do notice it... however, for my first tri I am going to go with my running shoes. The only thing that makes me nervous about this is actually the transition and when I did a try a tri last year, I lost so much time fiddling with my shoes, that I actually lost being placed, if you look at my times on hindsight... 3 minutes lost faffing with shoes, the winner was 2.40 minutes or something faster than me... :-(
May 2008
6:58pm, 10 May 2008
12,411 posts
  •  
B.B.
Did my first proper ride today! Haven't got my road bike yet, as I'm waiting for work to sort out the CTW scheme, so dug out my hybrid (some £300 Marin thing I got about 4 yrs ago). Did just over 20 miles - to Richmond Park, one lap, and home. It took an hour and a half - pretty crap!! - but will be lots faster when I get some nice wheels :-)
May 2008
7:03pm, 10 May 2008
33,875 posts
  •  
Hanneke
That is good going for a first ride BB :-) Nice wheels are a must! :-)

I have my first tri tomorrow, so better go and sort out my kit, including my bike... the chain needs cleaning and oiling!!!
May 2008
7:06pm, 10 May 2008
12,412 posts
  •  
B.B.
Good luck tomorrow my dear :-)
May 2008
7:07pm, 10 May 2008
33,879 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Thanks love, I need it! I cannot swim... well, I can, but I am not good at it. I hate it and have therefore not trained at all, I am just going to swim 400 metres breaststroke, then batter the bike and cane the run to make up for my shameful performance in the pool! There is so much to think about though, with all this kit and transition and stuff!!!
May 2008
7:10pm, 10 May 2008
890 posts
  •  
GregP
Lycka til, Hanns.

Sunglasses. Don't forget. Race belt (if using). BTF license (if have), *everything*.

Go get 'em.

As Gobi says, 'AVE IT!

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP