BIKE THREAD

3 lurkers | 200 watchers
11 Oct
9:57pm, 11 Oct 2024
24,510 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Any recommendations for ladies’ flat pedal shoes for MTB? I’ve been looking at Giro so far. Nowhere to try on close to me, so will need to buy online. I see you can also get flat pedal shoe covers for winter. I’ve never used shoe covers either on my road or commuting bike. Are they just useful for long rides or very cold weather.
12 Oct
6:57am, 12 Oct 2024
1,180 posts
  •  
The Mussile
Shoe covers are great when it's really cold but I wouldn't say essential unless your shoes are really thin or vented. Depends how much you feel the cold I guess
12 Oct
8:34am, 12 Oct 2024
10,525 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I swear by them. I use the toe covers mostly.
12 Oct
10:20am, 12 Oct 2024
2,654 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I think it depends upon how much and what riding you're doing whether overshoes are useful. Especially neoprene ones are good for warmth over any duration, but my experience is that if you're using them a lot the soles and zips get destroyed quite quickly, and so it's cheaper long term to buy a pair of winter boots.

However if you're only using sporadically, overshoes are great (I still have some for if I want to use my road shoes in winter).

As for mtb boots, YP uses 5:10s and seems to rate them (I can't comment, as although most of my shoes are womens, I almost never use flats).
12 Oct
11:41am, 12 Oct 2024
15,716 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I don't use them very often though ;)
12 Oct
2:25pm, 12 Oct 2024
24,513 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Thanks all and thanks for the boots recommendation. I didn’t realise you could get MTB boots. I have heard of 5:10, so will have a proper browse later - just off out on the bike now. I’m lucky to live close to woods with trails, so even if it’s cold, I can nip out for a quick ride, so anticipate getting out as much as I can in the winter.
MsG
14 Oct
5:26pm, 14 Oct 2024
2,681 posts
  •  
MsG
I use Giro Blaze winter boots, with covers screwed into the cleat holes as I’m riding flat pedals.
14 Oct
6:53pm, 14 Oct 2024
10,530 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Anyone got any suggestions for decent leg warmers? I have yet to find a pair of cycling tights/long bibs that fit me, I was out yesterday in some Gore windstopper items and looked like Nora Batty. I think legwarmers - that I can yank up - might be the way forward.
14 Oct
7:28pm, 14 Oct 2024
2,659 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I think it's something that's somewhat dependent upon leg length. I've got a Castelli pair that just end up bunched around the knee because they're too long, whereas my Santini pair are a reasonable fit. Or indeed, because my legs are so short, a decent pair of knee warmers from Endura that are barely discernible from leg warmers! It may just need some trying.
14 Oct
7:49pm, 14 Oct 2024
10,531 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Mmm, yes, this is what I mean. I was eyeing up a pair of Castelli nanoflex leg warmers, but the sizing could be tricky. I'm a large in Castelli, but take UK small in shorts, pants etc. I think I'd have to go for medium to get a sensible leg length .... might I enquire what size you use?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP