BIKE THREAD

1 lurker | 200 watchers
Oct 2007
9:21am, 19 Oct 2007
1,028 posts
  •  
Prop Forward
unlucky KR2. I, however, have a trump card. I know my boss will be reluctant to operate the scheme BUT his boss (40% tax payer) is currently shopping for a bike, probably £3-£4k carbon fibre racer + bike computer etc etc etc. If i show him how much money HE could save i'm hoping he will give the go ahead.
Oct 2007
9:43am, 19 Oct 2007
2,596 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
good heavens KR2 did you tell him about the benefits i.e. healthier staff= less sickness, more alert on getting to work etc. etc.?
Oct 2007
9:44am, 19 Oct 2007
2,597 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
I had forgotten about that scheme, but i think suffolk county council only use halfords and i dont really want to buy a bike from halfords.
Oct 2007
9:45am, 19 Oct 2007
1,896 posts
  •  
idio
I'm not entitled to the bike to work scheme as I get a works van. I did mention that me cycling makes me healthier and a better person and imo I think it's discrimination that I can't get but it fell on deaf ears.
Oct 2007
9:47am, 19 Oct 2007
1,897 posts
  •  
idio
Red Tomato a mate works in Halfrauds and he says if the bike you want is one they don't sell direct they are entitled to try and get it for you.
Oct 2007
9:49am, 19 Oct 2007
22,911 posts
  •  
Hanneke
We have company bikes :-) have had for years. Think we were the first ones ever to do this sort of thing, before the bike to work thing came in. My business partner is an accountant, and he foudn that you can actually buy company bikes, have all the miantenance etc paid for by the company as well. Comes out of our gross turnover now, rather than net income :-) it all helps :-)
Oct 2007
9:50am, 19 Oct 2007
22,912 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Oh and they are Dahon Helios foldups, great things and sold by.... yeah, Halfrauds, will you believe it or not!!! Don't let them do the maintenance though... they don't really know about bikes :-p
Oct 2007
9:53am, 19 Oct 2007
11,067 posts
  •  
Hendo
idio

A bike to work scheme has to be available to all staff - if it's available to others and not to you then it does not comply with tax legislation.
Oct 2007
9:54am, 19 Oct 2007
2,599 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
Very blinkered attitude of bosses who can't see the benefits, I guess they dont see the value of exercise generally?
thanks for the tip idio, just that in my local store they are very young and dont seem very knowledgeable or bothered to serve you. The smaller bike shop in town seems to give better advice. The last time i bought a bike from halfords it was only when i got home that i realised they should have fitted the mudguards and lights for me, but the bike was given a look over and then passed to me with a grunt!
I suppose i should get all the info before i go so i know exactly what I want.
Oct 2007
9:54am, 19 Oct 2007
1,898 posts
  •  
idio
I was told it has to be used for a certain percentage of the journeys made to work.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP