BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Sep 2008
2:04pm, 2 Sep 2008
38,246 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hmmm, fixed, has to be freewheel, right? Backpedal to stop??? and cycle backwards? Now why am I liking this idea? I better just get that cross bike and that will be enough! 4.5 bikes is more than enough for one person, without adding a fixie as well... and they all have to live in my Chapel as well, all in the same room, as it is an open plan living space... it looks VERY studenty with all the bikes and muddy fell shoes :-)
Sep 2008
2:09pm, 2 Sep 2008
6,386 posts
  •  
GregP
Think the normal plan is to do some 'fix or freewheel' arrangement which I don't fully understand.
Sep 2008
2:40pm, 2 Sep 2008
4,996 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
on my new bike ( did I mention I have a new bike) it seems( I am guessing) they have set up the gears to a 3 wheel chain set which means I have to click twice to change. Is this is a simple job to tighten up the cable myself so it changes over on the first click? hubby thinks I shouldn't touch it but I don't want to go to cambridge again for a simple job and the bury halfords 'don't have the tools' to work on the boardman bikes although I think its a common or garden shimano gear set up.
Sep 2008
3:02pm, 2 Sep 2008
593 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Errrr.....no, may not even be possible to change it, Red. It depends on such things as the amount of cable which is taken up by each click of the shifter, and the width of the cage on the front mech. You may just have to live with two clicks to change.

UNLESS the problem is that they've left some free play in the cable when they set it up, in which case taking the slack out may be the problem.

It is a one minute job to do so.
Sep 2008
3:17pm, 2 Sep 2008
5,004 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
thats what i thought, i could just loosen it and pull it through, there is a label on it saying not to make it go into zone A but it won't change unless I put it in zone A which makes me think halfords have set it up wrong.
Sep 2008
3:20pm, 2 Sep 2008
6,392 posts
  •  
GregP
HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! HALFORDS IN 'SETTING BIKE UP WRONG' SHOCKER.
Sep 2008
3:21pm, 2 Sep 2008
5,007 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
now, no saying 'I told you so' Greg!
Sep 2008
3:22pm, 2 Sep 2008
38,274 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hey, no swearing on this thread!!!
Sep 2008
3:24pm, 2 Sep 2008
6,393 posts
  •  
GregP
The bloke probably used the wrong sized hammer ;)
Sep 2008
3:24pm, 2 Sep 2008
603 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Red, does the cable look slack where it runs down the downtube? (the inner cable, that is). You may have a barrel adjuster (little twiddly thing just where 'conventional' gear levers used to go) which you can use to tweak the cable tension up a bit - but I'm not sure if all frames have them nowadays.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP