BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Jul 2008
9:24am, 22 Jul 2008
431 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Thinking of buying a Dahon Jack folding bike at the weekend - any opinions?
MH
Jul 2008
9:28am, 22 Jul 2008
2 posts
  •  
MH
I'm starting to look for anew MTB & the Boardman bikes are interesting - The Road Comp gets very good reviews (Cycling, 220 etc) and the Moutain Pro got a 10 from MBR. The downside is that Halfords sell them. I agree with rhb - much of the criticism has been with the set up from Halfords. You might get lucky and get a good person to deal with, but on the whole they are pretty awful.
Having to actually go to Halfords to get one puts me off already.
Jul 2008
10:02am, 22 Jul 2008
33 posts
  •  
Zarafa
I have a Dahon folding bike, just the bottom of range one (D7?) though still several hundred quid!. It's great, best money i ever spent and have easily recouped most of the cost through saved train journeys in just a year. It's a bit bulkier than the more expensive Bromptons but I think actually more robust when you're riding. Easy to put down, just the clasp on the handlebar stem can be a bit stiff but i figured out that using my key as a lever works really well (I may just be a weakling too!).

I did have a few issues with a couple of the screws on the pannier rack coming loose, but just bought a couple of longer ones from ribert dyas and tightened them up myself and no problems since. I give my Dahon a regular beating on the way to work, and have dropped it/fallen off a few times, but it has been incredibly reliable and easily keeps up with any other bikes. Now, after a year, the gears and breaks need tightening up so time for a service I think.
Jul 2008
10:55am, 22 Jul 2008
432 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Cheers for the feedback - much appreciated. How long is your work commute?
Jul 2008
11:09am, 22 Jul 2008
4,126 posts
  •  
GregP
I have a strong opinion of the Boardman bikes. And an 11 mile round trip commute.
MH
Jul 2008
12:32pm, 22 Jul 2008
3 posts
  •  
MH
Good, bad or indifferent??
Jul 2008
12:42pm, 22 Jul 2008
4,135 posts
  •  
GregP
Good bikes. But I cannot, no matter how hard I try, ignore the fact that they come from Halfords and are hence (in my mind, and quite probably in my mind only) probably assembled by a monkey with a hammer, and that the people that buy them, no offence meant, lack the wit or imagination to look elsewhere.
Jul 2008
12:51pm, 22 Jul 2008
37,427 posts
  •  
Hanneke
TMW, I have a Dahon Helios, have had one for years and years and years now... excellent bike, great ride... Bit heavy for a foldup, as in not as easy to fold and carry as a Brompton is, but well worth it for the much better ride. It is tecnically VERY sound, its folding pedals being the only weak point, but if you bust them, even outside the years warranty, they will send you a new pair free of charge!

I love mine and even after I had it stolen (twice) bought a new one streight away. Excellently kitted out and over the years they have kept on improving the bike as well! As I know, because I am on number three because of two thefts... My colleague has one as well (they are company bikes) and equally loves his... I have been known to use it for a triathlon, as well as regularly overtaking cycle couriers in central London :-)

My best moment on it was on my way to a polo match at Ham polo club. I was cycling up 'that' hill in Richmond park, overtaking a small group of London Dynamo cyclists, while dressed in my polo kit with big boots, helmet on the pannier and mallet strapped to the frame... needless to say, they were not pleased! So they tried to overtake me again, cursing the bird on the foldy... but the bike always performed admirably :-)

I did a Tri-Talk time trial on it once as well, all blokes, and I did not come last... they did think I was taking the piss though :-) which obviously I wasn't ;-)
MH
Jul 2008
1:34pm, 22 Jul 2008
4 posts
  •  
MH
GregP - I agree completely. I took an interest in the boardman bikes as I kept hearing good things about them from various places....and then I realised you could only get them from Halfords.
Anyway, in my case I'm pretty sure that I'll be going after a full suspension. it's going to take me ages to figure out what to get.
Jul 2008
1:43pm, 22 Jul 2008
2,202 posts
  •  
2 Flat Feet
I was under the impression that you could only get Boardman bikes from Halfords online... So maybe that will negate any concerns about building them!

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP