Baking thread

1 lurker | 98 watchers
Nov 2012
4:54pm, 4 Nov 2012
3,486 posts
  •  
icemaiden
wp.me

a blog about Christmas puds of all things.

facebook.com and some more baking this afternoon - all for us of course - need to find some customers soon.
Nov 2012
9:34pm, 14 Nov 2012
2,297 posts
  •  
Jon_T
Once again this year, I’ve had requests for my Vodka Christmas Cake recipe so here goes, (Made mine this morning!!!!) 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 cup water, 1 tsp. salt , 1 cup brown sugar, Lemon juice, 4 large eggs, Nuts, 2 cups dried fruit and 1 bottle Vodka,

Sample a cup of Vodka to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Vodka again to be sure it is of the highest quality then Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the Vodka is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor, wash it and put it in the bowl a piece at a time trying to count it. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver Sample the Vodka to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the Vodka. Now shit shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the Vodka and wipe the counter
Nov 2012
8:06pm, 18 Nov 2012
8,048 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Hi all, I need a simple flapjack recipe, a kind of crumbly one, rather than a *solid* one if that makes any sense! One that I can randomly add extra stuff to ( like sultanas, nuts etc etc) without it affecting it too much.

Any suggestions?
Nov 2012
8:13pm, 18 Nov 2012
1,064 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Lill...according to Tate and Lyle, all you have to do to make a crunchy rather than soft flapjack is turn the oven up and use a shallower tin.
This is a good site.
lylesgoldensyrup.com
Nov 2012
10:43pm, 18 Nov 2012
7,905 posts
  •  
Hourglass
Hi Liliacha :-)

These are my no-fail Fruit and Seed Flapjacks

225g Butter
225g Sugar
2 good tablespoons of Golden Syrup
400g Porridge Oats
75g of Mixed Seeds (I use pumpkin and sunflower, but whatever you fancy)
150g Dried Mixed Fruit (again, anything you like – but cut up if whole)
1 heaped tablespoon of glace ginger, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C Fan/Gas 3
Line a 25cm x 30cm x 2.5cm baking tin with baking parchment or foil.

Put the butter, sugar and syrup in a heavy based pan to melt over a low heat.

Remove from heat and stir through the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Tip mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth with the back of a spoon and bake for 35 minutes.

Cool in the tin then cut into pieces…

…then sit back with a brew and enjoy the fruits of your labour :D
Nov 2012
7:02pm, 19 Nov 2012
8,050 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Thanks for that info, will give it a go. It will be an experiment at work, so hopefully I can manage to do it right!

I had the most AMAZING raspberry and white chocolate flapjack yesterday, and I'm going to try to recreate that!
Nov 2012
9:17pm, 19 Nov 2012
7,907 posts
  •  
Hourglass
:-) ...ooh, recipe please when you do :-)
Nov 2012
10:01pm, 19 Nov 2012
8,052 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
It will be purely experimental! Hope my boss doesn't find out! :-)
Nov 2012
9:25am, 20 Nov 2012
3,732 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
This may be sacrilige to ask on here but does anyone have a breadmaker?

I used to have a Kenwood one years ago but got rid of it when we had the kids and the kitchen was overwhelmed with baby stuff. Then hubby replaced it with a cheapie Cookworks one which I'm thinking of upgrading when we get our nooooo kitchen - basically because the cookworks one is a bit rubbish really. Well, actually it was a nice thought but it's a pile of sh*te.

I want one that has the breadpan the "right way up" like my old kenwood rather than a deep pan with a small top so you have to cut it sideways (like the cookworks and like panasonics too I think).

Any recommendations?
Nov 2012
9:34am, 20 Nov 2012
6,549 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Used to have an Antony Worrall Thompson one - OK but had his gurning face looking out from the recipe book. That got heavy use and then bust.

I upgraded to a 'top of the range' Panasonic (well, TOTR as of about 4 years ago). It was in a sale in Robert Dyas and turned out to be pretty good value. I'll try to dig out the model number later. Makes very good seedy bread or Walnut loaf.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555