A Good Cup of Coffee

78 watchers
Feb 2021
7:43pm, 12 Feb 2021
2,034 posts
  •  
Groundhog
There's been advertising recently on the telly for a"new" brand of coffee bags. Not bothered.
Feb 2021
10:21pm, 12 Feb 2021
48,971 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Useful if you’re really lightweight camping but not at home I’d say
Feb 2021
1:11am, 13 Feb 2021
70,687 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Lightweight camping: pour over filter coffee, freshly ground beans in an old Torq energy drink canister. Holds enough coffee for two mugs...
Feb 2021
1:21pm, 13 Feb 2021
13,509 posts
  •  
larkim
All the parts arrived today, so spent an hour putting the Gaggia back together. No missing parts (phew!).

Plugged it in and......immediately the power tripped. Not even the power switch on the Gaggia was switched on.

Sad face :-(

I know little about electrics, but thought the most likely culprit would be the heating elements of which there is one on each side with separate cables attached. Uncoupled one, no trip. Reattached and uncoupled the other side. Trip. So fault found.

A bit of googling suggested water in the heating elements from cleaning might be the issue, and I'd run the boiler under water to clean out scale so that made sense.

Solution 1 is apparently putting the boiler in a warm oven for an hour or so. Solution 2 was the more risky remove the earth from the boiler so the fault does not get detected, to allow the boiler to heat up and disperse the water.

Went for the risky option, wearing isolating gloves. All powered up, no trip. Left it for five minutes. Reattached the earth, crossed fingers and...

Happy face :-)

Looking forward to a few nice espressos today now!
Feb 2021
5:21pm, 13 Feb 2021
21,973 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Well wrangled, larkim.
Feb 2021
6:56pm, 13 Feb 2021
213 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
When I’m at work I drink Taylor’s hot lava coffee bags. Not great but better than instant. As someone said a bit watery but cheaper than the coffee shop.
At home I have a Sage espresso machine and currently rather like the Aldi Kenyan beans or one of the Rave coffee blends. But I have just bought some Ugandan robusta beans to try as something a bit different.
rhb
Feb 2021
7:40pm, 13 Feb 2021
1,622 posts
  •  
rhb
Hanneke you are spot on. I'll take my drip filter over coffee bags on any lightweight trip, the weight penalty is more than offset by the mood lift from having a decent brew.

Top fixing Larkim. What's your day rate for working on others' machines? ;)
Feb 2021
8:31pm, 13 Feb 2021
13,510 posts
  •  
larkim
LOL, it was good fun! I really understand the way it works a lot better now, though the actual reason why I wanted to disassemble it for is still a trouble - I'd forgotten about that in the fun of destruction!! Now though I know how to fix it quickly!

Don't think my better half would thank me for bringing anyone elses machines into the kitchen though - I did have to promise to get it done PDQ!!
Feb 2021
9:47pm, 13 Feb 2021
70,692 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Larkim, very impressive! :)

RHB yes! I rathernot have coffee at all than bad coffee.

When I used to race bikes, tbey usually only had instant coffee at HQ, manned by wives of organisers grown up in the grey food era of this country. I used to bring my small cafetiere and asked them for boiling water. Cakes were usually excellent though.
Feb 2021
9:48pm, 13 Feb 2021
70,693 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Anybody else getting nespresso pod adverts? :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.