A Good Cup of Coffee

78 watchers
Feb 2021
10:48pm, 13 Feb 2021
4,195 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
My fave ground cafetière coffee is lavazza.

Have recently bought a b and m ground coffee (it’s the only one they sell it’s £1) it’s called caffe italia and it’s bloody lovely ! Can’t tell difference

Fave bean is San Francisco Bay organic rain forest blend (Costco )

I only have my coffee with cream

Total coffee addict I could make one pot after an other and still have an afternoon nap
Feb 2021
9:33am, 14 Feb 2021
13,511 posts
  •  
larkim
That San Francisco bay stuff from Costco is my default, and really good value.
Feb 2021
10:04pm, 14 Feb 2021
70,697 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I bought 2 kilo bags of Lavazza when it was on offer in Waitrose last year and I have a kilo bag of a Dutch supermarkets own brand strong espresso beans. I think these will last be the whole year. Bought because I feared a lack of availability and prohibitive proce hike due to Brexshit... I also have 10 litre bottles of organic olive oil, from France.

I suppose I am still dealing with the trauma of my move her in 1995, when I could not buy any proper coffee unless I cycled all the way to Islington to an Italian deli, where they sold ground Lavazza Rossa, at vastly inflated prices compared to my supermarket in the Netherlands... I had to buy my pasta and olive oil there too, as elsewhere only inferior quality in half litre bottles was available. I go through about a litre a month... So I ended up bulk buying my food staples whenever I was on the continent on the car.
Feb 2021
11:06pm, 14 Feb 2021
475 posts
  •  
SteveC NordRunner
Hanneke are you missing Jumbo 🐘
Feb 2021
9:34am, 15 Feb 2021
10 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Hanneke are you not concerned the coffee will be stale as billy-o by the time you get to the bottom of that bag. I often check the roast date when I buy my beans and the fresher ones are notably tastier. 3k of coffee would take me a long time to get through... I also love olive oil!
Feb 2021
10:06am, 15 Feb 2021
13,515 posts
  •  
larkim
I reckon I get through about a kg bag of beans per month; Costco sell 900g bags, at 15g per cup (a typical double shot measure) that's only 60 cups.

Just discovered Costco do delivery too, and with some different roasts / beans from the SFBay Company, so now got an experimental bag of decaf and a bag of French Roast coming to join my standard "Rainforest blend".

I've never checked the roasting date, but on the basis that I imagine the bags sit on the shelf for a few months anyway I doubt time in my cupboards will make much difference.
Feb 2021
11:55am, 15 Feb 2021
21,731 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I only ever get enough for a week or 2 tops from the fresh roasters (Two-Day).
Feb 2021
12:07pm, 15 Feb 2021
3,196 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I'm with Squirrel on this one; I get beans fresh roasted every couple of weeks by post from Dear Green. I'm also buying some ground from them at the mo as I don't have a grinder that goes fine enough for my espresso machine.

Beans last a lot longer than ground, but I think they last even longer in the freezer, but only if you can extract all of the air (or so coffee guru James Hoffmann said on youtube. possibly).

Between me and Mrs JD I think we get through a kilo every 2 weeks or so.

Independent, ethical coffee roasters are the way to go.
Feb 2021
3:29pm, 15 Feb 2021
21,732 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
They sure are Jacdaw.
Feb 2021
3:50pm, 15 Feb 2021
887 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
I've been trying to find a good source of coffee beans here in NL. The local place (still 30 minutes drive away) are good, but the ones we have had from them have all been too light of a roast for my taste.
Supermarket beans tends to be L'Or Onyx Espresso. We get through around 1 kg in 2 to 3 weeks I guess at the moment.

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.