A Good Cup of Coffee

1 lurker | 78 watchers
Feb 2021
10:27am, 9 Feb 2021
13,467 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd hang fire RS until I've proven I can get it all back together again!
Feb 2021
8:14pm, 9 Feb 2021
70,678 posts
  •  
Hanneke
And larkim?

RS I have never like sweetener in my coffee. When I was first served som, back in the netherlands as a kid, they put milk and sugar in it and I hated it... I didn't start drinking coffee when years later I accepted a cup of espresso, made over an open fire in a mountain hut high up on a mountain in Italy. I took it out of politeness towards the hosts. Sipped and was pleasantly surprised I actually like this strong, properly brewed, unadulterated drink.
Feb 2021
9:12pm, 9 Feb 2021
13,477 posts
  •  
larkim
Waiting on parts still. More things to take apart; I've learned how a solenoid 3 way valve works, and adjusted the OPV to closer to 9 bar (apparently) so that I will get a better espresso :-)

All good fun, I'm not really an afficianado at this stuff, but if I get a nice coffee at the end of it I'll report back!!

I gave up sugar and milk in (nasty horrible instant) coffee when I went to Uni - I could be bothered to keep milk in the fridge and one day I ran out of sugar and couldn't be bothered to restock - now the thought of either in coffee turns my stomach, and on the occasion when someone has generously bought me a coffee with milk in it I drink it but it's not a pleasant experience (for me).
Feb 2021
2:37pm, 10 Feb 2021
21,724 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I'm getting there with unadulterated. Haven't had sugar or similar in my coffee for over 5 years now. Also had a few espressos along the way; including some in Rome which made me buzz so much I was dizzy! I can do Greek coffee (black obvs); but still working my way towards being 100% espresso; no milk.
Feb 2021
6:31pm, 11 Feb 2021
1,706 posts
  •  
Heinzster
Milk and sweetener don't belong in coffee.
Feb 2021
10:00am, 12 Feb 2021
21,730 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I know. I've had a couple of baristas look down their nose at me when I've asked for milk.
Feb 2021
10:04am, 12 Feb 2021
13,500 posts
  •  
larkim
I have a pet theory that the difference between instant and "proper" coffee becomes less noticeable when milk in particular is added, hence the reason why lots of people tolerate instant coffee. Whereas apart from Starbucks Via sachets, I've not found an instant that tastes remotely like actual coffee.
Feb 2021
2:55pm, 12 Feb 2021
465 posts
  •  
SteveC NordRunner
Anyone remember coffee bags? Not sure you can still get them. At the time I thought they were pretty decent. In hindsight they're a bit like doing a pour over a bouquet garni.
Feb 2021
3:08pm, 12 Feb 2021
51,465 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Coffee bags are still available. One of my colleagues dumped a box of them in the kitchen at work a few weeks ago. They made weak and watery coffee when used in a normal sized mug, but I'm quite happy to drink weak coffee so they all got used.
Feb 2021
4:01pm, 12 Feb 2021
7,597 posts
  •  
sallykate
Coffee bags were truly awful when my mum embraced them in the 80s. The coffee always tasted stale. I'm sure I saw an advert recently for them which seemed to position them as something innovative.

I struggle with unadulterated coffee. It's either cappuccino or black + a touch of sugar for me.

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.