A Good Cup of Coffee

78 watchers
Oct 2020
8:01pm, 28 Oct 2020
21,638 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I don't get any with my Krups. However, I attract static like nobody's business and so my home doesn't have much in the way of static-attracting materials. I have to wear natural fibres or my hair stands on end and I give people electric shocks! :)
Nov 2020
10:53am, 23 Nov 2020
37,666 posts
  •  
Nellers
Simple question from a bit of a novice at the proper coffee game: does the size of the beans relate to the quality of the coffee? Are bigger beans by definition better beans?
Nov 2020
2:11pm, 23 Nov 2020
21,662 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I don't know Nellers. I should probably know, but I don't.
Nov 2020
2:22pm, 23 Nov 2020
7,171 posts
  •  
sallykate
I was intrigued by Nellers' question. A very quick answer seems to be the bigger the bean, the longer it's been growing and the tastier it is: thequeenbean.blog
Nov 2020
2:55pm, 23 Nov 2020
21,664 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
That's interesting. I was going to ask at the coffee roasters when I go there next, which won't be for a few weeks. Makes sense tho'.
Nov 2020
4:13pm, 23 Nov 2020
37,670 posts
  •  
Nellers
Thanks SK. My oldest thinks he’s a bit of a connoisseur and he’s been dismissing various suppliers of beans because the beans are too small without any other information. I’ve been laughing at him for this but it turns out he might be due an apology!
Nov 2020
4:56pm, 23 Nov 2020
7,172 posts
  •  
sallykate
I was wondering whether it's really as simple as that. And size is not the only thing that counts of course. Growing conditions such as shade or high altitude will give a higher quality bean but will they by nature be smaller because the conditions are a bit harder, so they don't reach a large size even if they grow a long time? (Dunno the answer to that one!)
rhb
Nov 2020
2:54pm, 24 Nov 2020
1,506 posts
  •  
rhb
There's so many variables in coffee that a simple bigger bean = better is hard to accept.

I've drunk some outstanding Peaberry coffee's over the years, from good roasters.
Nov 2020
6:38pm, 30 Nov 2020
5,508 posts
  •  
AdrianB1066
My Aeropress just arrived & what a time & faff saver over a cafetière. Just need to tweak the amount of ground coffee to add for correct strength as the first brew was a little weak.
Krups grinder ordered on Black Friday just to add a few more variables to the search for the perfect cup.
Dec 2020
4:43pm, 1 Dec 2020
21,669 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
That's my usual combination - my Krups and my Aeropress. I also have a couple of hob pots which are handy when I have friends over. Obvs not at the moment; :(

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.