A Good Cup of Coffee

1 lurker | 78 watchers
Jul 2013
7:39pm, 1 Jul 2013
552 posts
  •  
old mum
Very true, shyfire, but new indies are becoming increasingly savvy when it comes to their sourcing - they have to be if they want to survive. Unfortunately though, not every indie's palate is as clear as it should be, nor is their training on the machines, which is when problems really come to the fore.
Jul 2013
8:09pm, 1 Jul 2013
3,456 posts
  •  
heebiejeebie
The Tesco cafe at Burnt Tree Dudley has costa coffee. One time I ordered an Americano and the waitress (a charming lady) made instant but stood over the big coffee machine pretending to make proper coffee.

I would have complained but it was better than normal.
Jul 2013
10:39pm, 1 Jul 2013
223 posts
  •  
jacdaw
The problem with Costa and Nero etc. is that they have to use a coffee that tastes good when drowned in milk (esp. latte), and that means it is likely to be a bit harsh as an espresso / macchiato or even americano. Inevitably it will be a compromise.

I've never had a Starbucks. I'm told that it's a bit bland.
Jul 2013
10:40pm, 1 Jul 2013
3,460 posts
  •  
heebiejeebie
Starbucks pike place filter is fine black without sugar. Their Americano tasted a bit burnt.
Jul 2013
10:48pm, 1 Jul 2013
9,762 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I've had a Pret A Manger macchiato but that's about it. I only have a coffee out for a treat every now and then, so will go to an independent and meet a friend. There are quite a few good ones in Bristol but none near my flat.

My morning freebie from Waitrose bakery is fine, not amazing but drinkable. I'm missing out at the moment because my work gym has no showers for a month and I have to head back to the office for a shower so no time to collect my coffee.
Jul 2013
9:09am, 2 Jul 2013
3,462 posts
  •  
Tav H
Starbucks espresso tastes of ass. I have found Coffee #1 use nice coffee, more than acceptable for a machiatto.

I am lucky in that I live not far from Cardiff, where "The Plan" serve excellent coffee. Their main barista, Trevor Hyam, won "Best Espresso" in the UK champs and placed 4th overall. Obviously they use recently roasted coffee from a good roaster.
Jul 2013
10:27am, 2 Jul 2013
874 posts
  •  
Zorba
MUST you call him a barista ...?
Jul 2013
10:36am, 2 Jul 2013
4,498 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Tav, is that Ass as in equine or did you mean Arse as in Cameron/Clegg?
Jul 2013
10:47am, 2 Jul 2013
9,764 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Mmmm - I 'll remember that for when I'm next in Cardiff, Tav.

My coffee was not v satisfactory this morning; didn't have enough grounds for a nice strong espresso at work. No excuse, I've just got paid so have some freshly-roasted Sumatran at home.
Jul 2013
11:25am, 2 Jul 2013
224 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I am drinking a mug of this - hasbean.co.uk

El Salvador red bourbon. A mug full; black, made in a cafetiere with fresh ground beans. And it is lovely.

If enjoying something this good is pretentious, then that is fine by me.

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.