1000 miles in 2024

5 lurkers | 59 watchers
Par by the end of today is 728.8
Oct 2022
2:35pm, 19 Oct 2022
9,181 posts
  •  
hillstrider
You were lucky to be able to enter your half marathon GG.

Steve, I agree 100% about the extortionate costs of new trainers. The high cost of entry to most races, will also put many off.

Evangel, when running 5k's, I know that when the watch bleeps on 3 miles, there is only another 0.1 before it bleeps on 5k.

This morning was a good interval session with 4 running friends on the gravel track in the forest. It comprised 5 x 800 metres with 90 seconds recoveries. I have the session on my watch, so know that the distance and recoveries are accurate. The first 4 were amazingly consistent, with an all out effort for the 5th. Splits were 4.57, 4.58, 4.58, 4.58 and 4.24.
Oct 2022
4:41pm, 19 Oct 2022
3,034 posts
  •  
Lesley C
That was lucky GG, glad you got a place. Enjoy the race.

That's very consistent splits HS - very hard to do, well done.

Yes shoes (like everything else) are expensive. I buy sale ones and have a club discount code for sportshoes so I use that.

6 miles last night, was getting chilly towards the end. Managed a few faster splits so happy enough with that. I took the hilly part too hard though which was stupid - never mind.
Oct 2022
5:03pm, 19 Oct 2022
19,416 posts
  •  
3M (aka MarkyMarkMark)
I find shoes are best bought from discounted outlets - my favourite being the Asics Factory Outlet shop. I've been running on each previous season's model of Gel n for the last 10 years or so! Unless you're really at the top of your game (or maybe Gobi ;) ) I'm not sure it makes any real difference as long as they fit and are comfortable!
Oct 2022
8:47pm, 19 Oct 2022
2,885 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
I too buy my Adidas from the outlet shop and usually get them for around £50 they are usually the previous model which never bothers me. I got one pair for £32 and have about 8 pairs in various degrees of wear. Some styles pinch my feet so can only wear them for short runs.
I always find it hard to part with them but try to retire them from long runs at 500 ish. Then if they're not too manky use them for walking.
I did buy a pair of Asics for a change but the jury still out on them.
Oct 2022
9:06am, 20 Oct 2022
9,187 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks Lesley, I try to maintain a consistent pace in races.

Well done for your 6 miles.

3M, I've worn Asics 1000 road shoes for many years. I've tried most brands in the past, but will remain with Asics.

LL, I always buy the previous years models, which are reduced quite substantially. I generally work on the 500 miles basis for retiring my trainers.

I'm having a rest day today, after yesterday's interval session. I'm doing my best to be in as good as possible condition for the New Forest 10 miles.
Oct 2022
9:45am, 20 Oct 2022
5,765 posts
  •  
steve45
Outlet shops are a great idea, wish there was one in these parts. I'm a Saucony lover and like others here I don't care one bit about last year's models in fact I'm still wearing Saucony from 2019! But lately there is an absence of Saucony previous year shoes, luckily I've got five pairs of shoes on the go, 3 Saucony and two Hoka. One pair of Hoka has seen a total of 1000 miles and they are from 2019 too.
Good to see you doing good miles Lesley as well as intervals.

Your last hard effort done hs? The race Is this weekend?

Did 5.2 this balmy 14c morning.
Oct 2022
9:49am, 20 Oct 2022
5,766 posts
  •  
steve45
Ah.. just seen NF is not this weekend but the next.. Training has gone well for you hs.
Oct 2022
10:27am, 20 Oct 2022
9,190 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done for your 5.2 miles this morning Steve. Yes the race is Sunday week. I've decided not to do Saturdays parkrun, as I would be tempted to push too hard, and pay the consequences.
Oct 2022
11:40am, 20 Oct 2022
7,203 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Start at the very back hillstrider and work through the people chatting to those you recognise. A brief chat and an encouragement before moving forward to the next person. I really enjoy parkruns like that. Anywhere from 30 to 25 minutes for myself. Pace doesn't matter it's the enjoyment of it.
Oct 2022
1:53pm, 20 Oct 2022
9,193 posts
  •  
hillstrider
FF, I've recently been doing just that in parkruns, starting midpack and working my way through.

In my younger, faster days, I used to set off as fast as possible, and endeavour to hang on to the pace throughout.

In the NF10, I will start midpack, and hopefully, knee permitting, will progress through the field.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000