Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

106 watchers
Dec 2017
6:17pm, 13 Dec 2017
4,090 posts
  •  
Mazlin
Alarming news: Rory has had a helpful afternoon. He has opened a package and shredded the envelope for me, ready for recycling.

Good news: Rory has not eaten the bracelet (15) or two pairs of cashmere gloves (£35 each) which were in the package, and which are Christmas presents for my Mum, cousin and SIL

Good choices, Rory. (And I have removed them out of sight in case you get tempted later.)
Dec 2017
6:38pm, 13 Dec 2017
20,744 posts
  •  
Deck the Halls Daisy
Haha I like Rory more and more, Mazlin :-)

Yes Daisy would have been 14 in that photo, Sharkie. She was indeed grey, but Floss is as grey as that already!
Dec 2017
10:03pm, 13 Dec 2017
6,976 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Loving all these stories. Good news that Rory didn't eat the gifts, but often the wrapping is far more interesting anyway.

Love the cheese and Indi story too :-)

We had dog training yesterday - our last class of this term and because it was snowing I was the only person (there are usually around 4 maybe 5 of us) who went. So I essentially had a private one hour lesson and Wanda was so happy to be the centre of attention and was trying all the things being asked of her. It was also a different teacher as our usual teacher's dogs are currently appearing in panto so she has to be at the theatre with them. This teacher is more of a heelwork to music person so the work we did was more that sort of thing.

Now it is something that when I see it on Crufts or whatever I have always thought was not for me... but Wanda seemed to love it and tried so hard and picked it up very quickly. I have been trying to get into an agility class for some time but they are very oversubscribed so perhaps I should look at HtM instead.
D2
Dec 2017
10:15pm, 13 Dec 2017
10,190 posts
  •  
D2
Well done Wanda, I'm looking forward to trying HTM too, agility would send Indi bonkers.... any sign of another dog moving faster than a slow walk off lead he thinks is an invitation to play and gets very cross if not allowed. I thought HTM was a bit too "tricks" orientated but actually it just more advanced heel work / obedience I think. I look forward to hearing how Wanda gets on. :)

Oh Rory!!! Its like having a toddler; everything has to be moved up out of reach.

It is interesting the difference between different breeds, I can leave food out and Indi would not touch it and now I don't have to move shoes or vases of flowers etc out of reach either.

In class today we were doing STOP;

Put dog in sit wait and walk away... place treat on ground, reinforce wait and walk further away. Face dog - wait - call "to me" then shout STOP when they get to treat, tell them take it then DOWN.
D2
Dec 2017
10:18pm, 13 Dec 2017
10,191 posts
  •  
D2
Sorry my PC froze... to continue...

It worked really well and after a few times he understood STOP and did it without a treat on the ground and no creeping forward... really pleased.

It would probably be less easy for a dog who is keen for food :)
Dec 2017
9:44am, 14 Dec 2017
4,092 posts
  •  
Mazlin
Rory is a total toddler...luckily he is also just as unsubtle as most toddlers, so he’s hilarious (‘You say I can’t have that food? OK, I’ll go and rummage in the laundry basket. What are you going to do about *that*?’)

We are persevering with one to one agility lessons - Monday was a particularly good day when we managed walking along a low walkway, stopping nicely at the end, going through the scary tunnel and going between two weaving poles. (Also scary. ‘I’d forgotten what a wuss he really is’ said his trainer.)

Probably NOT coming soon to an agility competition near you...
Dec 2017
9:52am, 14 Dec 2017
12,553 posts
  •  
Shark the Herald Angel
Rory is such a character. But then they all are. Jess LOVED the tunnel.

Hop over that boring jump? Oh alright. Go through those weave poles? Not likely .... Tunnel, tunnel, tunnel!
Dec 2017
9:55am, 14 Dec 2017
5,337 posts
  •  
Helegant
Agility cancelled for a second week running die to snow and ice in the arena. Jet is chasing his tail around the kitchen instead.

Last night I baked gingerbread tree biscuits and left them in the kitchen to cool. I shut the child gate between the kitchen and the hallway and took Jet into the living room. Mr came home, walked through the house leaving all the doors open, and the loud crash that followed was the sound of cooling racks hitting the floor.
Dec 2017
9:57am, 14 Dec 2017
5,338 posts
  •  
Helegant
Rory will be fine; it's all about familiarisation. Dogs which seem quite wary at first often turn into really fast and confident runners.
Dec 2017
10:01am, 14 Dec 2017
4,093 posts
  •  
Mazlin
At least gingerbread won’t hurt Jet (I hope?? Please tell me if I’ve missed something!)

Weirdly Rory LOVES a skateboard or wobble board. Thin metal bar on the floor - scary scary scary!

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters dogdogdogDOG dogdogdog