Who Squares Wins!

3 lurkers | 174 watchers
Jun 2020
9:12am, 15 Jun 2020
1,365 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Snail, Hilarious way to get your last square and the Gridmaster badge. Congrats on the forthcoming win for the game as well. Your style of play through the latter rounds is probably the most efficient that I’m aware off.
Jun 2020
9:17am, 15 Jun 2020
459 posts
  •  
Daddy Shark
flanker, and everyone, the link Snail just posted is easily found in future as Sam Jelf's post with the link in is one of the "Most Pinned" posts on this thread (see link for those at the top of the thread).

flanker again, the way this actually works is by exploiting a "feature" of the way Fetch works out the map for real ongoing matches. Each match-page works out the points in each square based on activities of the two players in the current week. That works fine if the two opponents are actually opponents this week. But if you pick an old URL for one of your past matches, the map will display what the match status *would be* if you were opponents this week. This information is normally useless (though we could exploit that for duels alongside the official games). However, if one of your past matches was against someone who isn't logging any WSW squares this week (such as they are no longer signed-up to WSW at all), that old URL will display only your squares.

Sam Jelf's spreadsheet (which works best if you download it and use Excel that way) identifies matches that contain players who have left the game and shows the URL for each past match. Once you've found a URL that works, that should work forever (unless the player rejoins WSW ), so bookmark it.
Jun 2020
9:56am, 15 Jun 2020
572 posts
  •  
Chell
Thanks DS. For the first time that explanation has made sense to me, and I have read many of them over time. Such a shame I am too lazy and non-committed to actually use it. 😂
Jun 2020
10:24am, 15 Jun 2020
19,200 posts
  •  
flanker
Cheers DS. That’s really useful.
Jun 2020
10:28am, 15 Jun 2020
566 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
I've lost this week but was well behind earlier on and caught up a lot over the weekend. Well done to Mr J great match :)
Jun 2020
10:38am, 15 Jun 2020
859 posts
  •  
roberton
DS: great explanation. You won a pin from me :-)
Jun 2020
10:44am, 15 Jun 2020
460 posts
  •  
Daddy Shark
Yay!
Jun 2020
10:55am, 15 Jun 2020
9,536 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
I still don't understand it but DS took pity and sent me the link for mine 😀
Jun 2020
11:01am, 15 Jun 2020
4,407 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
I think I understand it but have only been playing since January so not on the spreadsheet. I think all of my opponents are still “playing“ although one or two haven’t scored.
Jun 2020
11:04am, 15 Jun 2020
19,945 posts
  •  
Dvorak
With the talk of Gridmasters etc i thought I'd look at my own badges. I have 100 squares, but not 150, so, being on 115, I thought I might have a go ... and then completely muffed it by, having stopped my watch for a chat, failing to restart it. Gah! I didnae even need the squares for a win. Wasted effort! ... Maybe this week then. Looks set fair for cycling.

(Even with a midweek move, four corners would be tricky, and Gridmaster nigh on impossible - unless I went really radical and moved the grid several miles to another town.)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php

Game guide here:
fetcheveryone.com/wsw-guide.php