Who Squares Wins!

3 lurkers | 174 watchers
Jun 2020
1:26pm, 1 Jun 2020
33,841 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Re the opening score of 1,000.

Originally it was possible for your losses to take you below 1,000 as ranking points were transferred from you to your opponent. Some participants felt that this gave them a disadvantage if they wanted to try and qualify for the multiplayer, so IIRC Fetch implemented a floor of 1,000 so that anyone could, given two or theee weeks of consecutive wins, get into or close to the top 128 and qualify for multiplayer.

(Otherwise a player who had, say, 900 points, might find it a very long and slow struggle to gat up to 1,030 or whatever the threshold is (I see it's now around 1,060!).)
Jun 2020
1:34pm, 1 Jun 2020
11,657 posts
  •  
Ness
Thanks again, GordonG, for a great match last week. I got out this morning and explored some new squares. Nowhere near your excellent score.

Hello to bennybeerbelly. 👋
Jun 2020
2:01pm, 1 Jun 2020
4,833 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
Having rejoined a couple of weeks ago I thought I'd have a look and just check that 1024 was about the right place to make it into the next multimatch! As Synge has noted, I'm probably going to have to wait until the match after that.

TBR - the tactics in the 1:1 change depending on your opponent and what your home grid is like. If you have access to lots of squares you can try and cover a lot of ground and hope that one activity per square is enough to win more squares than your opponent.

If you have limited access then you'll need to make the most of them and (depending on what your opponent is up to) try and get a run and a walk or cycle to make sure that you keep those squares.

If you want to make sure that this game takes over your life then try to keep all your activities in the grid and make sure that you don't visit the same square twice in any given activity - out and backs are a waste as half the squares don't count.
Jun 2020
2:04pm, 1 Jun 2020
4,834 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
Another tactic is to check out your opponent's training - see that they've not run in 2020, and decide that a walk in 1 square will probably get you a victory this week.
Jun 2020
2:19pm, 1 Jun 2020
381 posts
  •  
Daddy Shark
Welcome TheBeardRunner! ishep's post at 2:51 on the page linked below gives a good summary of the way WSW works.

fetcheveryone.com/forum/who-squares-wins-60346/1544

You're post earlier mentioned *ranking* points. To be honest, they are the least important of three different scores. The match score depends on the squares owned (see ishep's post) and square ownership depends on points earned in each little square compared to your opponent (ishep again). As for tactics, I see VJ has given you some good pointers. While you're low in the ranking your games will occasionally be like this week's for you (no contest as long as you get one square). But within a couple of weeks you'll be wanting to take VJ's advice. At least understand what your match map is showing you (e.g., Does that map show the area you run/bike/walk/swim in? Do you understand the points shown in the grid? Have you positioned the map well?). If you're playing to win, at least check your match map out before you head out the door so you either hit squares that aren't taken, or else attack squares that you don't want your opponent to keep control of. That's plenty to be going on with but ask us again as it begins to take over your life!
Jun 2020
2:23pm, 1 Jun 2020
45 posts
  •  
stubiedoo
Good luck to the semi-finalists - had to give up tbh - so fully expecting a good 1v1 this week without distractions - *waves to olde english*
JCB
Jun 2020
2:29pm, 1 Jun 2020
1,222 posts
  •  
JCB
*waves back to GordonG*

Hope you have a good week!
Jun 2020
2:30pm, 1 Jun 2020
180 posts
  •  
TheBeardRunner (aka Abul Choudhury
Thanks VJ and DS. I started last week but with no tactics just to see what happened. Blue Tang was obviously much more active than I was hoping lol. Score was about 88:54. How does that compare?
JCB
Jun 2020
2:53pm, 1 Jun 2020
1,223 posts
  •  
JCB
That’s fhigh scoring for a first game!
JCB
Jun 2020
2:54pm, 1 Jun 2020
1,224 posts
  •