Who Squares Wins!

4 lurkers | 174 watchers
May 2020
2:46pm, 25 May 2020
681 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
I have no intention of returning to the office full time... no kids here, just dogs that want walking
May 2020
2:55pm, 25 May 2020
First-time poster!!
  •  
bja61
Great match last week with Paul N. Narrowly lost 95-93 and also just missed the cut on the multiplayer game, but both pushed me to good weekly run total, which is the point after all! WSW has kept me sane and motivated through lock down so thanks everyone!

Couple of quick questions the perhaps someone can help me with:
1) Is it possible to see the final grid from previous matches, including the multiplayer?
2) Is moving you home position mid-week either a) an essential tactic to visit more squares and be competitive or b) totally unethical? ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Just asking because otherwise Iโ€™m limited to 104 squares max due to fields with cattle etc!
May 2020
2:55pm, 25 May 2020
9,336 posts
  •  
ITG ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ
The state of emergency was lifted here today (hurrah!) and the kids went back to school 2 weeks ago so I've no excuses. Summer holidays start in 2 weeks though so they are back under my feet :-o :-o :-o At least without me trying to explain what a quatrain is in Icelandic though.
May 2020
2:58pm, 25 May 2020
9,337 posts
  •  
ITG ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Hello bja, and welcome! I'll leave someone further up the rankings than me to decide whether moving the square once a week is ruthless efficiency or ethically questionable. I did it once to get my four corners (though I didn't get a particularly high number of squares that week).

Thing is, as Cumbri Andy helpfully pointed out and I probably shouldn't share as it is sound advice: you only need 113 to win so you'll probably do better covering the same ground rather than trying to maximise coverage. 104 could be a problem unless you are up against me because I've got a massive fjรถrd on one side and a massive mountain on the other.
May 2020
2:58pm, 25 May 2020
34,945 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Cool bja - great post. Glad you're enjoying WSW. It can be rather addictive!

It's certainly permitted to tactically move your grid. Nothing underhand about it.

I don't think we can see previous grids. I have a request to be able to see history in Feature requests, I think. If you want a different feature, make it as a suggestion and if enough Fetchies upvote it, it may well come to pass! :-) G
May 2020
2:59pm, 25 May 2020
11,823 posts
  •  
NDWDave
noun
a stanza of four lines, especially one having alternate rhymes.

That was a new word for me. I thought you were making it up. I think I only have another week of run streaking in before MrsNDWโ€™s patience runs out. Plus I will be doing the actual school run after next week so morning runs will be curtailed.
May 2020
3:04pm, 25 May 2020
11,824 posts
  •  
NDWDave
bja61 - 2) Definitely a). It will probably disadvantage you in the multiplayer but can be a crucial bit of strategy in the single player. Even a half square shift can open up dozens of squares.

When I was working in that there London, I would shift my grid up and down about 8 squares as my regular route was East-West so could get a much coverage over the week.
May 2020
3:10pm, 25 May 2020
45,457 posts
  •  
McGoohan
1.2 mile cycle ride done. That's right *more* than a mile. Take that macca! ;-)

*Rests for remainder of week*

*Loses 225-0*
May 2020
3:19pm, 25 May 2020
722 posts
  •  
roberton
LOL McG :-)
May 2020
3:31pm, 25 May 2020
5,253 posts
  •  
Raemond
Hello again bja!
I remember we faced each other a few weeks ago, and I very childishly decided I needed to end your winning streak. Sorry about that,but it was a much needed motivation boost for me.

I've just done the running, now I just need to get the swim, bike, and walk in...

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php

Game guide here:
fetcheveryone.com/wsw-guide.php