Who Squares Wins!

3 lurkers | 174 watchers
May 2020
3:51pm, 25 May 2020
1,738 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Welcome to the thread bja - glad you're enjoying the game.

While the practice of moving your grid midweek is certainly not unethical, the question as to the value of moving it is a personal one. I'm sure Dave is correct when he says that moving your grid would open up a number of previously inaccessible squares but, at the same time, it would also make a number of squares previously visited inaccessible - meaning you couldn't 'defend' them. From my personal point of view - just squeaked into the top 10 for the first time in a long time and made last 8 of the current multiplayer - the risk would outweigh any benefit. I simply have to make the best I can of the 160/170 that I can get to and ignore the rest.

I don't know how your accessible squares are distributed but, as ITG says, if there's a reasonable way to cover most of them most days then there's no reason why you should not be competitive. Equally, if you find yourself one week fighting over everything and there's a huge chunk of the grid you can make accessible by making a strategic move then why not?

Just remember, each time you move your grid it stays put for seven days.
May 2020
3:56pm, 25 May 2020
9,338 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
Dave, it came on the homework instructions are ferskeytla or something. Took me ages to find out what it was and explain to the 12yo. I was crap at poetry even in English.
May 2020
4:09pm, 25 May 2020
11,826 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I hated poetry at school and viewed it as a spectacular waste of time. Only Gawain and the Green Knight was vaguely tolerable and that isn’t really a poem in my opinion.

Making a Viking longship out of cake is the closest we got to Iceland with our homeschooling. Good luck with the Icelandic poetry...

Multiplayer leaderboard is looking nice at the moment...
May 2020
4:12pm, 25 May 2020
11,827 posts
  •  
NDWDave
A bit of Wikipediaing suggests Ferskeytla is a WSW themed poem. Every day is a school day...

en.m.wikipedia.org

There are many variations on ferskeytt, whose common principle is that they are quatrains with some kind of alternate rhyme. A poem in this metre is called a ferskeytla ('four-cornered [poem]'). Metres which share these properties belong to the ferskeytluætt ('ferskeytla-family').
May 2020
4:43pm, 25 May 2020
148 posts
  •  
Santis
Hello Everyone.

My first outing in the multiplayer, and I'm as surprised as you are to see my name in the last eight. Lockdown and CV19 has certainly increased my running.
I don't expect to go any further - I don't cycle and at this stage of the game, I think the extra cycling point will help a lot.
Goodluck to the 8.
May 2020
5:14pm, 25 May 2020
9,339 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
There was another word in Icelandic to describe the A-B-A-B rhyme pattern and I actually cried over it. It was not a good parent-teacher day.
May 2020
5:26pm, 25 May 2020
11,831 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Ah yes. We had a day of Limericks and Iambic pentameter. Hopefully that is it for poetry in our house.

Good luck Santis. I only did 3.5 miles of cycling last week which might have helped tip things but I think the running was sufficient. See how it goes - in the later stages, you often don’t need so many hits on a square to own it as the number of rivals drops.
May 2020
6:12pm, 25 May 2020
2 posts
  •  
bja61
Thanks everyone for the insights, the tactics of this game get more fascinating the more I look at it. I joined some time ago but was working away from home 3/4 days a week so that limited what I could manage in either location. Working from home has helped a lot for WSW at least!
May 2020
6:16pm, 25 May 2020
6,374 posts
  •  
Sigh
@iaincr - sorry, I feel mean now for not waving the white flag, I could have saved you the effort! Thanks for the good match!
May 2020
6:52pm, 25 May 2020
5,258 posts
  •  
Raemond
Ocho!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php

Game guide here:
fetcheveryone.com/wsw-guide.php