What really grinds your gears?

2 lurkers | 179 watchers
26 Jul
3:05pm, 26 Jul 2024
87,235 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I do @ChrisHB, but I generally have an idea of how much to use per person. If I don't, then I would search up a recipe for guidance (if there was nothing on the packaging).

And I'm pretty certain that the instruction in your photo is the uncooked weight.

"Before Cooking: "[ ] place 100g in a large pan with 500ml of cold water." - the barley is uncooked and the water in unboiled. :-)
26 Jul
4:49pm, 26 Jul 2024
23,149 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
That is the case. And before you take account of individual wishes, 40g dry per person seems to be the right amount.

The thing about the cooked weight is that it depends on how al dente/soggy it is, so the cooked weight is an unreliable guide to anything.
26 Jul
4:50pm, 26 Jul 2024
23,150 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
AI trying to engage me in conversation on spam phone calls.
29 Jul
8:43am, 29 Jul 2024
23,174 posts
  •  
Carpathius
The Discovery+ app. Everything about it is annoying. The thumbnails not telling me when the event was originally on, not being at all obvious what is currently selected, it's slow, and if I select an event to watch that's already happened I can't seem to save it to go back to: I have to search for it all over again unless I watch it in one go.
29 Jul
10:33am, 29 Jul 2024
87,282 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Avis in Portugal charging me about £14 a few weeks after my holiday. Presumably this is a "fuelling" charge but, as I filled the car full up at the closest filling to the drop-off point, I don't think this is justified, and is just a scam.

As I booked the car hire via British Airways/Budget (Avis and Budget seem to work together there) I don't really have a way of querying it, and I probably signed paperwork authorising this. It's still annoying.
3M
29 Jul
10:35am, 29 Jul 2024
24,480 posts
  •  
3M
"Main dealer" prices.
29 Jul
10:36am, 29 Jul 2024
70,167 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
People fawning over Tom Daley's performative knitting.
29 Jul
11:24am, 29 Jul 2024
9,035 posts
  •  
westmoors
The number of times you have to hit cancel to cancel a subscription. [I took out the audible subscription to help Fetch and thought I'd cancelled it only to find money has been taken from my account for this month.] It took 4 clicks (after excessive scrolling to find the button) to finally cancel.
29 Jul
11:24am, 29 Jul 2024
10,505 posts
  •  
GordonG
Diogenes wrote:Avis in Portugal charging me about £14 a few weeks after my holiday. Presumably this is a "fuelling" charge but, as I filled the car full up at the closest filling to the drop-off point, I don't think this is justified, and is just a scam. As I booked the car hire via British Airways/Budget (Avis and Budget seem to work together there) I don't really have a way of querying it, and I probably signed paperwork authorising this. It's still annoying.

The car hire business especially for holidays, is just fraught with surcharging cons and scams.
29 Jul
11:54am, 29 Jul 2024
87,284 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I had a disagreement with them when collecting the car. My booking confirmation clearly stated that I had paid for extra cover but their system said I hadn't. I declined it because my travel insurance also provided extended cover.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
A forum to sound off about what really grinds your gears.