Threshold Improvement Plan - Anyone Fancy (Virtually) Joining Me

20 watchers
5 May
11:32am, 5 May 2024
2,112 posts
  •  
Mark J ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
Following some discussion with the Coros coaching team, Iสปve decided to to try and improve my 5k time and general threshold pace. The ultimate target is to improve on my distance running but it starts with being able to hold a solid threshold pace. So, Iสปm going to be starting an 8 week, threshold improvement plan from the 27th of May. I wondered if anyone fancied running along with me, virtually.

Official blurb: The goal of this training plan is to increase time at threshold and VO2 throughout the weeks. Weekly volume will stay relatively consistent with only an increase in intensity serving to create change. Athletes should be prepared for 5-6 days/week running with 25-40 miles/week volume. Emphasis each week will be on key threshold or VO2 sets. Base runs are meant to maintain volume and help athletes recover. Do not over exceed easy run paces. At the end of these 8 weeks, please perform a 5k test. If your threshold pace changed, you should see new zones and be able to re-apply this training plan if more threshold work is desired.
5 May
11:36am, 5 May 2024
2,113 posts
  •  
Mark J ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
Because the plan is effectively HR based, anyone who is comfortable running the distances and regularity of the above, can join in. No need to be a certain pace, target time already. This is about overall improvement of your HR zones.

I was thinking I can happily transpose the Coros plan in to a Fetch plan that you could apply to your own calendar. Coros would be fine with this also as their plans are all publicly available, FOC already.

Thinking that if anyone did want to join, then this forum would act as a support, guidance, general chat group for the duration.
5 May
11:55am, 5 May 2024
30,457 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I could give it a shout out in the monthly update, if youโ€™re able to create the training plans and instructions.
5 May
11:58am, 5 May 2024
2,115 posts
  •  
Mark J ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
fetcheveryone wrote:I could give it a shout out in the monthly update, if youโ€™re able to create the training plans and instructions.

OK, let me do that over the next 24 hours or so. Chur!!
5 May
3:47pm, 5 May 2024
17,856 posts
  •  
Garfield
Yes, I need to challenge myself to run with more effort for longer...ordinarily, I'm too lazy or don't like pain.
5 May
3:56pm, 5 May 2024
4,236 posts
  •  
tipsku
I just found the link to the thread in one of the marathon forums and decided to pop in. I'm also trying to improve my 5k and 10k times and decided to dedicate about 10-12 weeks to that. My rudimentary plan has a threshold and a VO2 max sessions each week, building from week to week with an easier week every 4 weeks. So I'm going to lurk here to see what other people are doing.

I'm doing that parallel to increasing bike mileage for a cycling marathon in the Alps on 7 July, 214 km (133 mi) so I'll keep the running mileage on the lower end, around 30-35 mi to be able to put in the work on the bike.
5 May
3:56pm, 5 May 2024
3,680 posts
  •  
Bowman ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
Following :)
5 May
3:58pm, 5 May 2024
3,681 posts
  •  
Bowman ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
I have a 10k in about 3-4 weeks.
I will need some speed work until then at least :)
5 May
4:06pm, 5 May 2024
3,416 posts
  •  
riggys99
Following with interest on how people get on
5 May
8:39pm, 5 May 2024
4,712 posts
  •  
paulcook
I may be (kind of) joining you though starting asap.

I've got 6 weeks to go from ultra mode (and mountainous, trail/fells at that) to speed mode. And I've already had a week of rest and still feeling ample residual fatigue. There's no way I need to find any stamina to put in my legs, so there's going to be as much speedwork as my body allows in now just 5 weeks.

About This Thread

Following some discussion with the Coros coaching team, Iสปve decided to to try and improve my 5k time and general threshold pace. The ultimate target is to improve on my distance running but it starts with being able to hold a solid threshold pace. So, Iสปm going to be starting an 8 week, threshold improvement plan from the 27th of May. I wondered if anyone fancied running along with me, virtually.

Coros original plan: training.coros.com

My version of the plan: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=969

Cleaner kms version: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=970

*Please read the disclaimer on page 2 before following along.