Threshold Improvement Plan - Anyone Fancy (Virtually) Joining Me

20 watchers
SPR
9 May
11:24am, 9 May 2024
44,180 posts
  •  
SPR
You can link the plan from Coros directly which would probably be useful for people to read anyway. Obviously in Fetch would work well for actually following it.
9 May
11:42am, 9 May 2024
2,130 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
This is true. I was going to pop the Coros link in once i'd put my version up as well. But let's chuck that link in now ahead of the Fetch one. I have modified my Fetch version slightly too, too allow for kms rather than miles.
9 May
11:51am, 9 May 2024
2,131 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Here's the link to the official Coros plan

api.coros.com
9 May
11:55am, 9 May 2024
2,132 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
A very useful chart to assist, care of larkim and Twitter

9 May
12:21pm, 9 May 2024
4,750 posts
  •  
paulcook
Best of luck Mark.

Twice I’ve seen that chart today (though also Twitter as you mention).

My own plan is simple. Parkrun on Saturday to gauge current fitness / speed levels, then as much speed work as possible when I feel up for it for 3 to 4 weeks. Will likely be 1km reps / hills mostly. Another parkrun on June 1 to likely determine I’ve made no progress (haha!) then race (first flat road race for 10 years) the week after.
10 May
7:37am, 10 May 2024
30,460 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Mark J 🇳🇿 I think the ‘save plan’ button is failing because of an apostrophe somewhere in your notes. If you can hunt those down and remove them, it should save and you can then make it public.
10 May
9:29am, 10 May 2024
2,134 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
fetcheveryone wrote:Mark J 🇳🇿 I think the ‘save plan’ button is failing because of an apostrophe somewhere in your notes. If you can hunt those down and remove them, it should save and you can then make it public.

fetcheveryone, you mean within the plan itself or just in the description and notes?
10 May
9:31am, 10 May 2024
2,135 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
And any other "special" characters I should remove?
10 May
9:34am, 10 May 2024
30,461 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
No, just the apostrophes I think.
10 May
10:39am, 10 May 2024
2,136 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
OK folks, the adapted plan that I will be using is up and running. Thank you Lord fetcheveryone.

fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=969

A few things to note that may only be particular to me as I am a bit needy, nerdy and data driven.

1. I have added in my pre and post stretch routines. 5 minutes of dynamic stretching pre run and 8 minutes of static stretching post run. I tend to put everything in my plans as it makes sure I stick to it. For some reason the plan has shifted these around on each day but theyʻre right in terms of what needs to be done for that day.
2. I have adapted the original plan to make in kms as thatʻs what I run and I have therefore made some slight adjustments to lengths and times of some sessions. They are though, for the most part, as Coros intended. Iʻll put links to both versions of the plan in the description.
3. Youʻll notice a lot of sessions have some bpm values with them. This really is particular to me. I found that when I worked on improving my cadence, I managed to stumble across approximate bpm values for my various race paces. So what I have also found is that by using a metronome on the various types of speed work sessions within any given plan, it massively helps to keep my paces for each type of session, pretty much on target. It may be totally psychological, but to me it feels like my secret weapon.

More than happy to answer any queries on my version of the plan but before asking me anything, it may be worth while checking the Coros version, just in case the answer is there. Iʻm going to start my plan on Monday 27th May. Iʻll post my threshold pace etc at that point and letʻs see where and if it ends up improved or not.

As with all training, races or otherwise, this forum and idea is about me going up against me and is in no way about trying to compete with anyone else. Iʻd love it if other people felt encouraged to come along and letʻs see how we go and support each other along the way. Or Iʻll just sit here posting stuff like a journal for myself to look back and learn from.

About This Thread

Following some discussion with the Coros coaching team, Iʻve decided to to try and improve my 5k time and general threshold pace. The ultimate target is to improve on my distance running but it starts with being able to hold a solid threshold pace. So, Iʻm going to be starting an 8 week, threshold improvement plan from the 27th of May. I wondered if anyone fancied running along with me, virtually.

Coros original plan: training.coros.com

My version of the plan: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=969

Cleaner kms version: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=970

*Please read the disclaimer on page 2 before following along.