Threshold Improvement Plan - Anyone Fancy (Virtually) Joining Me

20 watchers
SPR
10 May
11:03am, 10 May 2024
44,192 posts
  •  
SPR
I think if looking at it as plan for others to use. I think it's worth putting a generic one up so people can import as Coros intended then edit and add things.

Feel free to ignore though as I'm not doing this. I'm just a watcher as I'm generally interested in training and there aren't many training specifically for 5km.
10 May
11:09am, 10 May 2024
45,533 posts
  •  
Night-owl
All the best Mark I shall watch/lurk

While 5km is my fav distance I'm just building up my training for now too early for speedwork apart from the odd parkrun
10 May
11:39am, 10 May 2024
4,757 posts
  •  
paulcook
Bloody hell, that's comprehensively impressive. Best of luck.
10 May
12:49pm, 10 May 2024
17,859 posts
  •  
Garfield
Another who'll lurk as I don't have the mileage, though I might scale it down a bit to suit my level right now.
11 May
9:47am, 11 May 2024
4,775 posts
  •  
paulcook
Today's parkrun speedtest was more test less speed. 20:11, a full minute slower than on the same course about 12 months ago at a similar period in training. Still a marker for a short course of 3 weeks training.
11 May
9:57am, 11 May 2024
2,142 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
paulcook wrote:Today's parkrun speedtest was more test less speed. 20:11, a full minute slower than on the same course about 12 months ago at a similar period in training. Still a marker for a short course of 3 weeks training.

Nice starting point though, paulcook. Youʻre the first person to actually log something tangible on the thread. Thank you :)

Iʻm still in maintenance mode before kicking in to this plan. Did a half marathon this morning, keeping up the base fitness, post marathon.
12 May
1:57pm, 12 May 2024
4,260 posts
  •  
tipsku
I ran my first threshold session yesterday, 3x 2000 m in the park. It was quite warm, 20°C at 7 pm, but I still managed 4:35-4:40 min/km except on the hill back home. Happy with that, especially running that fast on trails. I have a trail 10k at the end of June so I'm looking to get better at running fast off-road.
12 May
9:20pm, 12 May 2024
2,145 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Nice running tipsku. I completely lose the ability to pace properly when I hit the trails.
13 May
5:37am, 13 May 2024
2,148 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
SPR wrote:I think if looking at it as plan for others to use. I think it's worth putting a generic one up so people can import as Coros intended then edit and add things. Feel free to ignore though as I'm not doing this. I'm just a watcher as I'm generally interested in training and there aren't many training specifically for 5km.

Thanks SPR, I've done another version with no warm up or cool down stretching but I'll not do a mileage one as that would mean me adjusting all my personal settings in Fetch to do. So here's a link to the cleaner kms version fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=970
SPR
13 May
6:49am, 13 May 2024
44,225 posts
  •  
SPR
Nice work. Do you mean you won't do a miles one? The plan is in miles when I view it so Fetch respects your settings it seems so no need to do anything different for that.

About This Thread

Following some discussion with the Coros coaching team, Iʻve decided to to try and improve my 5k time and general threshold pace. The ultimate target is to improve on my distance running but it starts with being able to hold a solid threshold pace. So, Iʻm going to be starting an 8 week, threshold improvement plan from the 27th of May. I wondered if anyone fancied running along with me, virtually.

Coros original plan: training.coros.com

My version of the plan: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=969

Cleaner kms version: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=970

*Please read the disclaimer on page 2 before following along.