Bazoaxe
SPR wrote:It says MP not PM.

Yep, I know that - but he could chuck it all in and count his billions
5 Jul
10:18am, 5 Jul 2024
24,958 posts
  •  
larkim
Kinnock I think said something last night along the lines of Reform's appeal was bringing apparently simple answers to very complex questions, which I think is an entirely fair summary. Of course, there's an implication in there (which I don't disagree with) that voters are a bit thick sometimes and fall for those simple answers without critiquing why they are not effective answers.

The tough task Labour has, and I think it is the sort of approach that Starmer aspires to, is to find a way of explaining / demonstrating that those simple answers don't actually solve the issues. Whilst simultaneously evidencing progress in actually solving the issues through ways which are in keeping with the Labour movement's overall philosophies.
5 Jul
10:20am, 5 Jul 2024
3,351 posts
  •  
Muttley
For all the joy at seeing the Tories kicked out, there are some clear-eyed valedictories out there, and some gracious ones too.

This is what Jeremy Hunt, who just scraped through, said:

5 Jul
10:23am, 5 Jul 2024
3,352 posts
  •  
Muttley
A longer version from the telly:

x.com

Well said that man.
jda
5 Jul
10:25am, 5 Jul 2024
17,395 posts
  •  
jda
Chrisull, I agree the future isn’t set in stone but it seems a very plausible outcome based on the plans that Starmer has set out.

Of course the Labour fanboys think it’s a price well worth paying for the glory of an infrequent Labour win.
5 Jul
10:25am, 5 Jul 2024
32,699 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Chrisull wrote:And as for the negativity - it was jda who chastised us for the takes after 2019 saying Labour locked out for 2 elections or more. So let me return the favour - we don't know the future, I fear a Faragist Tory party in 2028/29 too, BUT we can't say or know that. The future is not written in stone, we make it. How we get from here to 2028/29 determines what happens. Cornwall has just locked out the Tories for the first time, election bases change. Let's see.

I agree. We don't know the future but it's not a wild stretch to imagine that there will be warfare between Tories and Reform for a while, which will give Starmer more breathing space.

WHEN the two parties will merge, HOW they will merge, WHAT their policies will be and WHO will lead them are all unknowns, and it doesn't necessarily follow it will:
1 Be before the next election
2 Mean they have an appealing leader
3 Mean that their new policies - which would doubtless be further to the right - will be appealing to the electorate

The story remains the same - abandon the centre ground of British politics and you will struggle to win, so there's hope yet. They ain't going to win any election without a credible platform across the piece and rightwingery will not appeal to vast swathes of the electorate.
5 Jul
10:26am, 5 Jul 2024
24,959 posts
  •  
larkim
Easy to lose sight of the fact that many politicians don't get into it for the grift and really do buy into that democratic commitment. Mainly because once election day is over, they have to play their roles as politicians.

Hunt has clearly demonstrated that well, I thought Steve Barclay was good earlier in the night and Robert Buckland was similarly clear.
5 Jul
10:28am, 5 Jul 2024
24,960 posts
  •  
larkim
One thing that Farage has done well, personally, is actually to avoid much scandal. Which means he needs to be attacked on the issues he stands on in a way which properly dissects him.
5 Jul
10:28am, 5 Jul 2024
5,698 posts
  •  
paulcook
I also thought Steve Baker gave a depressing assessment this morning. I was half asleep and trying to get organised but he basically said he was happy to no longer be an MP as his house if basically Fort Knox. Whatever you think of politicians, they are doing a public duty and shouldn't have to live like that.
5 Jul
10:29am, 5 Jul 2024
43,197 posts
  •  
Nellers
For the first time ever I find myself nodding along in support of Hunt. Never thought I'd see the day.

Also, given that there are Tories saying both that they lost because they were too left wing AND that moving to the right would be a disaster, I think/hope that the Tories are going to tear themselves apart even more so over the coming months and years.

I also think Reform will subside significantly as they can't actually do anything with only 4 MPs except shout impotently about how it's definitely not their fault, any of it, and it's all terrible.

And to a large degree if Starmer can show himself and his Labour Party as honest, working for the people rather than themselves, and competent on the world stage then he's probably going to be OK with taking a bit of time to undo the Tory inheritance.

Of course, the press will be hoping for any wiff of scandal and pouncing but hopefully they keep their noses clean and get on with governing for the country.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.