Open Water Swimming

134 watchers
21 May
6:30am, 21 May 2024
27,519 posts
  •  
richmac
If you want any coping with a useless arm tips give me a shout 😉

I'm still to dip this year. Circumstances seem to be conspiring against me.
25 May
8:55pm, 25 May 2024
7,679 posts
  •  
1step2far
What a way to spend a Saturday night! Finished work and met friends on the beach for a swim.

25 May
10:12pm, 25 May 2024
68,118 posts
  •  
LindsD
That is gorgeous
26 May
3:36pm, 26 May 2024
6,113 posts
  •  
flip
richmac wrote:If you want any coping with a useless arm tips give me a shout 😉 I'm still to dip this year. Circumstances seem to be conspiring against me.

Ive 70% use i reckon but somehoem managing to swim in the sea. Maybe its the cold , i don't know. God knows when mine will heal up fully . Time to dip mind !
26 May
3:37pm, 26 May 2024
6,114 posts
  •  
flip
1step2far wrote:What a way to spend a Saturday night! Finished work and met friends on the beach for a swim.

Looks amazing
27 May
4:39pm, 27 May 2024
6,115 posts
  •  
flip
After all the rain we had a nice day on saturday . I don't usually go in after really heavy rain and although lovely , there was a canny bit of debris knocking about .

27 May
4:45pm, 27 May 2024
6,116 posts
  •  
flip
Not long before we set off i decided to ditch the wetsuit. It was a bit of a whim tbh but i had dipped last week which is always without a wetsuit and I thought I'd see how it goes as it was meant to be a short swim.

And it was ok .

Yes going in is always bites your arse a bit but it didn't last long. The swim was all over the place going round debris and we had a stange strong current appearing to go in the wrong direction between the two pier steps . The type of current you swim against and don't seem to get anywhere. We decided it must be to do with the full river and some sort of circular current . It was fun though .

27 May
4:54pm, 27 May 2024
36,120 posts
  •  
Sushi
Nice swimming Flip.
27 May
4:58pm, 27 May 2024
6,117 posts
  •  
flip
Sunday and we were out again with a full Pod again in lovely sunshine. Skins again and a decent swim. My watch had us leaping the pier like dolphins. God knows why it did that , its usually reliable. Again the strange current between the steps making it hard work.

Unfortunaly i got a lot chaffing down my side and where my unshaven chin caught just above my collar bone. My mam would never believe i hadn't been 'necking on' :-)

I've noticed my form isn't what it was and i'm putting the chin rash down to that and the sides down to carryiing to much flab (i'm working on it ).

I've a rash vest that i've only ever worn under my wetsuit in the deepest of winter months but i think i might where that and see what happens as i'm probably not going back to the wetsuit till much later in the year.

Still two vary nice swims and lots of coffee and chilling with friends on the beach.

Theres talk among us of swimming back from the Farne Islands to shore . That'll take some organising but it would be a fun swim.

27 May
5:03pm, 27 May 2024
6,118 posts
  •  
flip

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.