Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

1 lurker | 59 watchers
2 Oct
2:19pm, 2 Oct 2024
12,137 posts
  •  
Raemondo
I avoid Amazon as much as I can - but my aunt, for example, always sends me an Amazon gift card for my birthday and Christmas. She's in her late 80s and getting her to change now would be more stress than I care to inflict on either her or me.

I think for a lot of people once the habit has been formed, the account is all set up and linked to whatever, you've got prime for quicker/free driver and streaming, then it still feels easier than going outside and interacting with people even if it's not *actually* quicker or cheaper.
2 Oct
2:20pm, 2 Oct 2024
19,262 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
[It's a lot easier to get some nice young man to bring heavy or bulky items when (a) you have to car or (b) when you have mobility issues - whilst our household falls into both I do try to limit reliance on Amazon]
2 Oct
2:23pm, 2 Oct 2024
68,169 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
How it’s possible that you need to stop watching muted threads or they are still visible
2 Oct
2:26pm, 2 Oct 2024
19,265 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
JamieKai *chameleon* wrote:[It's a lot easier to get some nice young man to bring heavy or bulky items when (a) you have to car or (b) when you have mobility issues - whilst our household falls into both I do try to limit reliance on Amazon]

*no car. Sausage fingers...
2 Oct
3:25pm, 2 Oct 2024
3,389 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
JamieKai *chameleon* wrote:[It's a lot easier to get some nice young man to bring heavy or bulky items when (a) you have to car or (b) when you have mobility issues - whilst our household falls into both I do try to limit reliance on Amazon]

I didn't intent to criticise you or anyone else... more confused at my own actions to be honest! lol
2 Oct
4:46pm, 2 Oct 2024
19,268 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
[Didn't read it as criticism, just a counterpoint :) Living with someone with mobility issues - (I forget the term he'd like me to use as we use far less polite language towards each other!) - has opened my eyes to things that I normally would have scorned, as they allow him more ability to live with dignity. Well, some dignity. He's still a knob :) ]
13 Oct
1:07pm, 13 Oct 2024
4,124 posts
  •  
cackleberry
For those people who are being prosecuted by Northern Rail for purchasing incorrect tickets...

If the tickets are not compatible with the journey, why were the people able to purchase them?

One of the chaps used his student card, surely you tick a box on the purchasing site to use the card, so why did it not flag up that the journey was not applicable?
13 Oct
9:57pm, 13 Oct 2024
67 posts
  •  
mityellow
cackleberry wrote:For those people who are being prosecuted by Northern Rail for purchasing incorrect tickets... If the tickets are not compatible with the journey, why were the people able to purchase them? One of the chaps used his student card, surely you tick a box on the purchasing site to use the card, so why did it not flag up that the journey was not applicable?

[A lot of the Railcards have time restrictions, in addition to the usual restrictions on the ticket. So the confusion comes when you buy an "Anytime" ticket which says on the ticket it is valid at anytime so you think you can catch a slightly earlier train without a problem...

However, for example, a 16-25 Railcard has a minimum fare that applies between 04.30 and 10.00 Monday to Friday. So for tickets cheaper than this minimum fare there is a pre 10am Anytime and a post 10am Anytime ticket - this distinction is what retailers often don't make clear. People wrongly assume all "anytime" tickets are valid at any time.

To add to this, the minimum fare does not apply to Advance tickets; journeys on public holidays; or (for the 16-25 only I think) journeys during July and August - quite a few people get caught out every September by this last one as they assume the price change is a mistake and choose the tickets which cost what they used to pay. Note the T&C's also vary between railcards!

It's a mess, sadly the examples of ticket simplification that have been tried so far (looking at you, LNER) have just made things 1) more expensive for passengers and/or 2) even more confusing :-( ]
14 Oct
9:23pm, 14 Oct 2024
4,127 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I see..... she lies.

BUT if a person ticks the box to use a railcard, and any part of the journey is NOT railcard applicable, then surely it is down to the ticketing software to pick that up?
This seems to be down to people being confused, rather than them deliberately playing the system. [Which is why the companies are being told to sort it out, obviously]

Dunno, I use the train so infrequently because it is always more expensive and less convenient than simply driving to my destination.
15 Oct
8:26pm, 15 Oct 2024
17,442 posts
  •  
Badger
I think the lad with the student card might have planned a later train, then hopped on the earlier one thinking that the Anytime on the ticket meant it was OK.
Quite often, if you're buying a ticket from a machine, rather than booking it online, the machine will present you with several options but won't tell you which options are valid when until you've picked one. And the ticket might only say something to the effect of "valid only as advertised".

More often than not, I regret trying to travel by train. Usually OK for week day trips to London. Weekends are sketchier; still cross about the time last year I tried to go down to London to see my niece and nephew racing a marathon, and it took me 6 hours to get less than half way and eventually get back home again.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?