Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

4 lurkers | 59 watchers
29 Aug
8:13am, 29 Aug 2024
3,299 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
What ever happened to BOGOF offers in supermarkets? They used to be the most common offer, now they barely seem to exist.
29 Aug
9:26am, 29 Aug 2024
27,309 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I was in a market in turkey in the summer snd their offer was BOGOSP
29 Aug
9:41am, 29 Aug 2024
1,453 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
@RunningRonnie I seem to remember the Government (?) banning them, as they were usually applied to unhealthy food products. This may be a false memory 😕
29 Aug
2:02pm, 29 Aug 2024
19,078 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Why a group of grown adults are playing a Harry Potter game in their lunch break.
29 Aug
2:54pm, 29 Aug 2024
10,620 posts
  •  
GordonG
I'm not sure that BOGOF deals were actually banned (yet) but there has been pressure to not have them partially due to the thought that they lead to food waste.
29 Aug
7:54pm, 29 Aug 2024
19,946 posts
  •  
NDWDave
The new uefa champions league format
30 Aug
10:25am, 30 Aug 2024
3,302 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Apparently some people don't like coriander as it tastes like soap to them, due to a certain gene that has not mutated.

Given that the same food tastes different to some people, how do we know that anything tastes the same? We would all agree on what a strawberry tastes like, based on what we have individually learned a strawberry tastes like, but how do we know we are tasting the same thing?
30 Aug
11:40am, 30 Aug 2024
12,041 posts
  •  
Raemondo
I guess because we can synthesise the taste of strawberry with different ingredients and agree that it tastes the same (for a very generous value of the same) as an actual strawberry.
Although I suppose multiple people could stop be registering that the synthetic tastes similar to the thing they've learned to call strawberry, without it proving that what they're actually experiencing is the same as anyone else.
30 Aug
10:57pm, 30 Aug 2024
19,084 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
[I have similar thoughts about colours - what you see as green might not be what I see as green, but we've both been told that's what it is.]

[Oh gods, is anything real? *existential crisis* Well, it is coming up to my oldening...]
31 Aug
6:02pm, 31 Aug 2024
8,062 posts
  •  
Winniefree
Yes! That's a thought I've often had - how do we know whether what any of us experience is the same as others. My blue might be your green, the smell of coffee may be completely different for us but as coffee always smells like that we'd never know.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?