The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
jda
Jan 2022
6:56pm, 2 Jan 2022
11,613 posts
  •  
jda
Looks to me like the AF are probably slightly more capable than VF and Next% on loose surfaces, judging from their sole design. VF were certainly sketchy as hell on some sandy parts of the Blackpool Prom, but it was dead straight so not too difficult to manage.
Jan 2022
8:52pm, 2 Jan 2022
2,995 posts
  •  
Oranj
Have you ever tried to fix that foot strike WW? Interested because I land in exactly the same way and wondered if there's a way to train yourself out of it. I can't run at all at the moment anyway so I've got time to think about it

I have the same footstrike as WW (exhibit A here: fetcheveryone.com/gallery-showphoto.php?id=87991 ) and similarly injured a couple of years ago, tried to retrain in my comeback to a different, flatter, style. It didn't work, after a few weeks I just couldn't do it. I drop to a flatter footed style over longer distances though, but I'm not sure it's very efficient for me.
Jan 2022
9:19pm, 2 Jan 2022
5,333 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Tizer, I haven’t. But, it looks like I’m in good company with you guys! Was thinking that I’d look in to it though. Maybe there’s something I should be doing to increase stability or strength (over and above putting the AF in the bin!).

I had seen that you can’t run right now. Hope nothing too serious…

Agree that the AF does look to have a bit more grip than the other Nike. That sole is quite rugged looking tbh.
SPR
Jan 2022
9:24pm, 2 Jan 2022
36,088 posts
  •  
SPR
Outer foot initial touch down is pretty normal TBH.
Jan 2022
9:49pm, 2 Jan 2022
1,478 posts
  •  
Tizer
I've seen quite a few folk landing like this but for me, it seems to really wear down my shoes quickly on that outside edge. I wondered if it was maybe an issue with overstriding but I've got a reasonably quick cadence of 185/190 so maybe not that. Similar to Oranj I've tried to land a bit flatter but I've no idea if it worked or not. Should probably have filmed it before I got injured

Seems like its Gilmores Groin WW. 10 weeks so far and no improvement in running (can't run 20 metres without pain) although I can swim/bike ok and its less painful doing rehab stuff. Just setting up a different physio to get a second opinion
J2R
Jan 2022
11:17pm, 2 Jan 2022
4,000 posts
  •  
J2R
Had a pretty crap 10K run yesterday, as I was feeling quite unwell. But I have to say I got the very strong feeling that my Saucony Endorphin Pros made it rather less crap than it would otherwise have been - my legs felt fresh and strong at the end and I was able to put in an unexpectedly good finishing sprint. I had the same sense from a parkrun just before Christmas, where I broke 18 mins for the first time this year, despite feeling rubbish.
Jan 2022
12:19pm, 4 Jan 2022
18,874 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I land on the outer foot edge too and really wear down shoes on the right hand side (as seen here earlier), I'm not so bad on my left. Crikey are the AF's gonna cause me a problem too?
Jan 2022
12:42pm, 4 Jan 2022
1,479 posts
  •  
Tizer
Thinking the same. I have a new pair to try but concerned I'll do damage. Do you have bother going over your ankles when running on the trails. I often go over my ankles when I'm on hills / trails and wondered whether it was because I already land so heavily on the outside edge
Jan 2022
2:24pm, 4 Jan 2022
5,334 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I do Tizer, tend to stick to the roads as a result :-(

Sorry about the groin btw. Have heard this one quite a few times, hope you can come through it as I have heard others do.
Jan 2022
4:48pm, 4 Jan 2022
18,875 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I don't tend to go over on trails, tree roots are my nemesis, but I don't tend to fall and do a lot of offroad

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org