The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
Jan 2022
5:11pm, 4 Jan 2022
630 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
I've rolled my ankle fairly badly about eight times over the years. Every time it has been while running at an easyish pace, usually something minor that I didn't spot catches me on landing, flips foot slightly out and over.

Can never remember it happening when I'm pushing a bit harder, when my landing switches from midfoot to forefoot and I seem more agile to unexpected flicks underfoot.
jda
Jan 2022
5:26pm, 4 Jan 2022
11,629 posts
  •  
jda
You're all making me nervous, I've got an off-road race this weekend!

Not that I'll be wearing VF or anything remotely similar! But I haven't really run off-road in the past year, just the odd short stretch of trail. Perhaps I'll not be taking too many risks. It's more XC than fell really, just the club handicap which is more social than competitive.
jda
Jan 2022
11:26am, 6 Jan 2022
11,645 posts
  •  
jda
Another threshold workout, this time I just wore old normal shoes to see how things went. And the answer is.....badly. About 10s/km below what I would have expected in VF-type shoes. Could really feel how hard I had to work, calves and hamstrings noticeably straining with the effort, and even so the speed just wasn't there. Conditions were fine and calm, I went out just early enough to beat the snow and rain that has now arrived.
J2R
Jan 2022
11:44am, 6 Jan 2022
4,008 posts
  •  
J2R
Interesting, jda. I'm still not sure I would actually use VF-type shoes for training, though. I would train in regular (in my case more minimal) shoes and reserve the VF-type shoes for races. Having said that, I reckon that the more practice I get in the supershoes (in my case Saucony Endorphin Pro), the more I get out of them - very minor changes in gait seem quite significant. The only reason I would use VF-type shoes in training (where absolute pace does not matter, only training benefit is important) is if they left my legs fresher at the end. I think my Pros probably do, but I'm less certain about the Saucony Endorphin Shifts I do some of my training in. I should really buy a pair of Speeds.
Jan 2022
11:50am, 6 Jan 2022
649 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Approx 50 secs difference over a parkrun then. Upper end of what I expect to see in most runners (30-50 secs)

The odd person has hardly any response while sometimes I see a person jump slightly over 1 minute (which they claim, without fail, is due to their training and the shoes barely make a difference, y'know)
Jan 2022
11:52am, 6 Jan 2022
650 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
I've done marathon paced runs in standard shoes, am now using AF for those runs in this block (got excess pairs due to too many sales)

15 secs/mile faster in AF is my yardstick for equivalent effort.
SPR
Jan 2022
11:58am, 6 Jan 2022
36,092 posts
  •  
SPR
Labrat did some testing on the Dragonfly spikes and IIRC they weren't as good as the shoes. Would be interesting to see consensus numbers on them.
Jan 2022
12:09pm, 6 Jan 2022
653 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Assuming a crude linear model of twice the magic foam = twice the boost, that's what I'd expect
SPR
Jan 2022
12:32pm, 6 Jan 2022
36,093 posts
  •  
SPR
Actually it wasn't a huge difference (weight probably helps the DFs): instagram.com

Given that's Alphafly vs Dragonfly, in theory the VFs will be about the same as the DFs.

If the VF/AFs looked like DFs for road, I'd struggle to resist (although when I tried the DFs there was a ridge in the arch, which along with my not feeling right about them made me return them).
SPR
Jan 2022
12:36pm, 6 Jan 2022
36,094 posts
  •  
SPR
The original test post: instagram.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org