The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
SPR
Dec 2021
10:46am, 24 Dec 2021
36,043 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm not disagreeing track helps, it's why track has been faster till now (it's now debatable as you say). What I'm saying is that I expect the non-responder issue is more of an issue when it's something attached to your feet. If there's a huge change in how the surface works, it could possibly have the same effect but I don't think that's the case here?
SPR
Dec 2021
10:59am, 24 Dec 2021
36,044 posts
  •  
SPR
I did forget one group the new rules will affect; those that wear trainers on track. Options become more limited and might be forced into spikes (assuming this applies at all levels and no caveats for trainers).
Dec 2021
10:22am, 25 Dec 2021
476 posts
  •  
Minimag
In my personal test of the 'supershoes', I did the same parkrun as last week's Adidas adizero test, but this time in the saucony Endorphin speed.

I have now run this same parkrun 14 times, and last week pb'd in the Adidas Adizero by 4's (In windy conditions) in 24.20

This week I did 23.33 in the Saucony in less windy conditions

My Alphafly's arrive this week to test on next weeks parkrun, but all the shoes so far seem to work for a very average runner!
I am quite pleased
jda
Dec 2021
1:19pm, 27 Dec 2021
11,559 posts
  •  
jda
So....

I took out my new old VF, original design, blue vintage. I think I've raced just once in them before, they were being saved for Manchester marathon in 2020 which was cancelled when it was just weeks away. In fact they still had a chip in the laces which looks like it dates from exactly 2y ago at the Ribble 10k.

Ribble Valley 10k again today and I was 1s slower than I had been at Blackburn in the fugly Next% (and also about 40s slower than two years ago in the same event). I think the Ribble course is slightly faster than Blackburn so that's a bit of a disappointment and perhaps a strike in favour of the Next% design. Though, it's close. Maybe conditions were poorer in some way but they seemed pretty good - I'll see what rbr makes of it.

I'm going to break open my alphafly at some point but need to do some decent training first.
Dec 2021
3:50pm, 28 Dec 2021
618 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Puma Deviate Nitro had a mention on here recently, can be purchased (through Puma site) for 90-100 with code SECRET-HWY9-IVLX-YSIB-2RQD

Not figured out what difference there is between those and their Elite model
Dec 2021
3:53pm, 28 Dec 2021
619 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Explainer here, both have plates but Elite is the racer

I just bought a cheap pair of Velocity Nitro (45 quid) to use for other training
Dec 2021
3:53pm, 28 Dec 2021
620 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
runningshoesguru.com
Jan 2022
3:05pm, 1 Jan 2022
5,330 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
This morning’s 10k race was my 1st time out in anger in the AF. I managed to stack it on a corner, twisting my right ankle and shredding my left leg to the extent that I couldn’t continue.

I can’t help but think that the AF had something to do with it given their height and unusual design in the forefoot. I land on the outside of the forefoot in a really pronounced way and I did wonder but didn’t expect it to end like this.

Even if they weren’t to blame then I don’t think I’ve got the confidence to run in them again. The ‘atomknit’ upper is badly torn as a result of the fall so not sure there’s a lot left in them anyway.

Experiment over for me!
Jan 2022
3:42pm, 1 Jan 2022
626 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Sorry to hear that WW, hope you heal up ok.

Can't tell if the high stack supershoes are causing more rolled ankles than usual, but I'd expect people can do a lot more damage when it happens.

I corner like an oil tanker wearing them. I like to think I run a bit like Bekele (see 12:30 onwards here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8JbFEvTgOA
)
jda
Jan 2022
3:43pm, 1 Jan 2022
11,605 posts
  •  
jda
Oh no! That’s a terrible shame, both for the injury and shoe destruction. You could eBay them, “one careful owner”.

I have found even the VF a bit unstable at times.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org