The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
Oct 2021
8:44am, 18 Oct 2021
1,467 posts
  •  
Tizer
Good video

Surprised the Adios Pro weren't part of this. I know he said the budget wasn't massive but its a pretty big brand that's already had some success over longer distances. Be interesting to see where that would sit.
Oct 2021
9:04am, 18 Oct 2021
4,720 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
He did mention the Adios Pro towards the end, where he said he had tested it on himself ( but not the whole group ) and said he didn't respond very well to it.

He also said he did respond well to the Puma Deviate Nitro Elite, which I'm guessing would mean the numbers were up there with the Metaspeed and 2 Nikes for him.

I thought it was interesting when he said that although each individual would respond by a different amount to each of the shoes, the hierarchy of which was best-worst was very similar across all testers.
Oct 2021
9:16am, 18 Oct 2021
1,468 posts
  •  
Tizer
Ah, I'm only half way through the content so that explains it :-) I like the adios pro for training in . Great soft feel and very different and far more spongy than the VF's or Endorphin Pro. I expect the benefits from those may come from time to fatigue rather than the carbon rods
Oct 2021
9:18am, 18 Oct 2021
1,181 posts
  •  
Big_G
I would also be very interested in the outcomes for more regular runners (such as myself!), if he gets that research completed at some point.
SPR
Oct 2021
10:04am, 18 Oct 2021
35,488 posts
  •  
SPR
Believe the study was started before they were out/ mainstream.

Interesting about his theory about responders. It fits with what Asics think. Would be interesting to see if the Edge is good but for cadence runners.
Oct 2021
10:27am, 18 Oct 2021
1,469 posts
  •  
Tizer
Yeah the Sky/Edge thing is interesting
Oct 2021
10:53am, 18 Oct 2021
490 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
I half listened while doing some other work, was impressed with both participants in the conversation

One thing I wonder when someone says they didn't get on well with a certain shoe, is whether there was a minor problem with the fit.

I bought a pair of Asics Metaspeed Sky and went half a size up on the recommendation of everyone I could see, and they feel too big. So I've only half tested them and it's too late to exchange them.

I saw a clubmate wearing 4% once and he had blisters on the back of his heel where the shoe was rubbing after a short race, and he felt he got no speed benefit - I felt he'd either got the wrong size or they just did not suit his feet for some reason, and that was maybe annihilating any performance benefit
jda
Oct 2021
11:15am, 18 Oct 2021
10,970 posts
  •  
jda
Yeah, some people (my wife) are very fussy about fit. I can run in just about anything. Luckily (or not, considering the price!) the VF fit her very well and she's been happier in them than pretty much anything else she's ever tried.
Oct 2021
11:29am, 18 Oct 2021
2,188 posts
  •  
bonners
Not vaporfly, but Brooks Hyperion Elite 2 for me, thought I'd give a wee race report on my first outing in them

I am one of those fussy people who need a shoes that fits, have tried Nike before and don't seem to suit my feet. Brooks seems to be a bit like marmite to a lot of runners, they either suit your feet or don't. As a regular wearer of Brooks I eventually stumped up the money and went for their racing shoe.

Difficult to say what they have me speed wise as I'm coming back from injury and my time was slower than previous 10k times. What they definitely have me was lightness and comfort. I definitely didn't feel the same level of fatigue in my legs that I quite often feel in races and felt I was able to maintain my pace better throughout.

Only one anecdotal review, but my view is they may suit Brooks wearers and especially those with aches and previous leg injuries. They may not give the time improvement of other super trainers, but for me I was just overjoyed to be able to work hard right to the end of a race and end without feeling much fatigue in my legs is a real plus.
SPR
Oct 2021
12:08pm, 18 Oct 2021
35,490 posts
  •  
SPR
The study also fits with what I said way back about just because everyone has a shoe, doesn't mean that there's a level playing field. Also because of patents, there probably can never be a level playing field.

Adidas's metatarsal thing was apparently a way to get around the Nike plate patent (shape is similar).

Not seen (or have forgotten) a breakdown of the structure of the Sky. RTR might have done one. Would be interesting to see how different they are from Nike/ Adidas.

Also along the same lines of what FD said, I wonder whether you have to give a shoe a bit more time for you to adapt if it feels very different. The researcher felt the AdiĆ³s were too firm but he might have adapted after a few runs.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org