Derby Tup
:-) appropriately not very exciting none link
Jul 2023
12:23pm, 3 Jul 2023
98,284 posts
  •  
swittle
appropriately not very exciting none link

The lack of link is irritating, and thus, potentially exciting. What the link contains would preclude said theatre from the spirit of this thread [This quote direct from the cricket yesterday.]
Jul 2023
3:44pm, 3 Jul 2023
79 posts
  •  
DrMags
swittle, that looks very similar to where I once lived in Leeds - and revisited back in March. How happy I am not to live there anymore.

Jul 2023
4:30pm, 3 Jul 2023
98,285 posts
  •  
swittle
DrMags I've lived in the end house in my picture 26 years. It's close to Crosby on Merseyside and is almost all owner occupied. Leeds I know quite well, having researched and taught there for years. The grittiness of a big city quite appeals: Liverpool's certainly not Arcadia...but where is? :)
Jul 2023
4:57pm, 3 Jul 2023
80 posts
  •  
DrMags
Just realised my comment could have come across as quite rude šŸ„“ I was merely struck by the photographic coincidence (and keen to share an appropriate photo to this thread, my others being a bit too bucolic!). I was a student in Leeds and lived in an area full of shitty, multiple-occupancy rented accommodation (unlike your street) where the landlordsā€™ lack of interest in maintenance was only beaten by the occupantsā€™ lack of interest in keeping the place clean and tidy. 36 years has done nothing to improve the sorry state of the place as it continues to slowly compost away. Although I did see the Hyde Park Picture House was getting tarted up (wonā€™t try to add a non-link šŸ˜‰ ). As a Mancunian, Iā€™ll not bait you with offering Manchester as a Liverpool-beating Arcadia šŸ¤£

Jul 2023
5:09pm, 3 Jul 2023
98,288 posts
  •  
swittle
No, I didn't take your reflections that way, and could match the urban decrepitude of LS6 and elsewhere with the gnarliest of terraces in, say, Vauxhall and Kensington - the Liverpool ones. Slowly, the tide is turning, and some of Kenny's most desperate properties are coming down.

Did you see this article about the restoration of the Hyde Park Picture House? I saw 'The Motorcycle Diaries' there years ago.

bbc.co.uk
Jul 2023
5:23pm, 3 Jul 2023
81 posts
  •  
DrMags
Oh I hadnā€™t - thanks, just read it. I saw ā€œEraserheadā€ at a late night showing there in 1986 and very uncooly fell asleep! ā€œStop Making Senseā€ on the otherhand šŸ’ƒšŸ» šŸ•ŗšŸ¼

About This Thread

Maintained by Gobi
There are lots of threads and gallery pictures of wonderful scenery but what if you live in a dull h...