So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

80 watchers
SPR
Sep 2016
9:51pm, 25 Sep 2016
22,789 posts
  •  
SPR
Vrap - Re the known dopers, I'd have agreed except this was doping supervised by doctors rather than individuals going off by themselves to do it.
Sep 2016
9:56am, 26 Sep 2016
9,923 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Vrap - Rasmussen and Millar had documented their doping regimes and how well they worked before this came along - so yes there is plenty of schadenfreude, but it's already on record, historically both said this drug was an important and effective part of their doping scheme. I think that has to be taken seriously. Millar is a vociferous (if not always 100% credible) poster boy for anti-doping, at least he is remorseful about it, unlike Rasmussen and Armstrong. Wiggins weight loss before the main tours was a) notable and b) remarked on.

Also see what current riders are saying about this... Tom Dumoulin: cyclingnews.com
Sep 2016
11:21am, 26 Sep 2016
5,761 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Thanks vrap for the medical contribution, that's interesting.

I don't accept the premise (the way it looks now) of they "didn't break any rules", though. I'd you apply for a TUE under a false or exaggerated reason, then you *are* breaking the rules.
Sep 2016
4:27pm, 26 Sep 2016
34,591 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm a little bewildered about how a drug like triamcinolone *could* cause torrential weight loss, especially when, as was the reported experience of one of the former doping cyclists (though this doesn't apply to Wiggins, whose shots were intramuscular), it's injected around a tendon, a form of administration which we regard as being metabolically neutral. I'd have expected to have seen at least one patient in my working lifetime come back to me reporting that they'd lost shedloads of weight without trying after having an injection for their trochanteric bursitis or tennis elbow.

Or maybe they did, and I didn't make the link and went off on a tangent investigating them for unpleasant diseases.
Oct 2016
2:09pm, 7 Oct 2016
9,963 posts
  •  
Chrisull
It goes from bad to worse for Wiggins. What was in the package? A drug yes. Not triamcinolone. Didn't require a TUE? Then what was it? Why the secrecy?

dailymail.co.uk
Oct 2016
2:17pm, 7 Oct 2016
34,625 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
And why only the Daily Mail? ;)
Oct 2016
5:52pm, 7 Oct 2016
9,964 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Guardian ran it too, but the DM journo seems to have the deeper investigation (Guardian just quotes him).
Oct 2016
6:05pm, 7 Oct 2016
34,628 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Yes, I first saw it in the Guardian and saw that they were just reporting what the DM had printed, and looked at the DM article, in which there's nothing so far to indicate that their story is anything other than fabrication.
Oct 2016
6:39pm, 7 Oct 2016
4,766 posts
  •  
Winded
"British Cycling are unable to confirm what the package contained" - a bullet point from the headlines of the DM story.

This is one of the alleged problems? Seriously? I would have trouble telling you about what was delivered to my house last week. British Cycling don't know the contents of a package delivered to a Team Sky bus in 2011? It would be pretty remarkable if they did.
Oct 2016
7:13pm, 7 Oct 2016
3,555 posts
  •  
Nelly
So Winded you think it's acceptable for a professional organisation to pay for one of their employees to fly to Europe for a day to hand deliver a package to another organisation without knowing what he is delivering? An organisation that we are lead to believe is so successful because it takes organisation/planning to the nth degree? They've had 2-weeks to review their records and all they can say is it was a medical substance. Oh, and they can also say what it wasn't!?!?

IMO either BC's claims that their success is based on meticulous planning is bollocks, or the claims they don't know what was in the package is. But one way or another we are being misled.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.