So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

1 lurker | 80 watchers
Aug 2016
2:47pm, 21 Aug 2016
14,441 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
PtB. I know about the Ewen Mackenna effort. After Farah's non-answer, the very next question from another journalist was 'how does it feel to be one of the greats'.

It's that inability of journalists to be able (either through their own incompetence or the political pressures to sell papers and be on message) that's really frustrating. And then when people do raise the issues, it all gets shouted down - either above or below the line.

Do you really think the Murdoch press would publish anything remotely anti-Sky? Errr, not in a hurry...
Sep 2016
12:37pm, 16 Sep 2016
14,637 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Interesting graph here from Ross Tucker:

twitter.com
SPR
Sep 2016
12:20pm, 25 Sep 2016
22,783 posts
  •  
SPR
Think Wiggins case falls under the abuse of TUE given what we've heard so far.

Feel like Sky have some explaining to do, but they can't really explain it.
Sep 2016
12:50pm, 25 Sep 2016
14,685 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Brailsford has been rather silent on the whole matter.
Sep 2016
1:36pm, 25 Sep 2016
9,917 posts
  •  
Chrisull
This is like Festina all over again, except conducted within the very British "we didn't break any rules" excuses - (see all tax evasion, see also djs and their 15 year old groupies in the 60s - it was just kissing y'know). Sky's credibility is bust. They have had several other dodgy riders on their team who fell foul/ or never quite got caught. (Kiryenka, Henao, Tiernan Locke).

I must admit I'm surprised that Froome emerges cleaner than Wiggins over this. His TUEs are more admissible ( and less of them)
SPR
Sep 2016
1:48pm, 25 Sep 2016
22,784 posts
  •  
SPR
As far as the evidence shows, there's nothing against Henao (something being checked out being found to be OK isn't proof that you doped) and Tiernan-Locke's doping related to before Sky. Not sure what you're referring to regarding Kiryienka?

Froome vs Wiggins, why think either is dirtier than the other without evidence?
Sep 2016
3:09pm, 25 Sep 2016
9,918 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Sorry Sioutsiou... always mix him up with Kiriyenka.! And the reason was:

sportsscientists.com

And no I don't think they are necessarily doping/cheating/dirty BUT as this article points out, Sky promised to be cleaner than cleaner and they never delivered on this promise.

stickybottle.com
Sep 2016
6:03pm, 25 Sep 2016
14,686 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Relevant point at the end there of the stickybottle article. Release all power data. Show that the Kenalog shots didn't also give Wiggo a power boost - as suggested they would by Jaksche and co.
Sep 2016
9:01pm, 25 Sep 2016
10,531 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The Wiggins TUEs certainly appear to be pushing well into the grey areas around the boundaries whereas most of the other TUEs released appear to be more genuine. There is something about the timing that just feels wrong and add to that what Millar/Rassmussen are saying about this drug it just doesnt feel right
Sep 2016
9:40pm, 25 Sep 2016
34,588 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My first thought was, "Nothing to see here." Intramuscular triamcinolone used to be used in the UK as an option for treating severe hay fever, but although it was great for convenience - no faffing around with pills, sprays and drops - it had the disadvantage of leaving the user awash with a potent glucocorticoid for three or four months, with the consequent risks of loss of bone and muscle, fat gain, adrenocortical suppression and general damping down of the inflammatory response. It was no longer recommended for that purpose by the time I started in general practice 25 years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was still used much more frequently in other countries, or in endurance athletes competing during the hay fever season. Not a clever choice long term, but tempting to use for easy symptom control.

The timing of Wiggins's jabs wouldn't particularly bother me unless he had more than one in a period of 3-4 months (THAT would be very fishy) and known dopers coming out of the woodwork going, "Yeah, I took that, and I felt great and the weight fell off me," doesn't mean a thing, I suspect most of 'em would be chuffed to bits to see a big blot on Team Sky's copybook. But the secretiveness, and the contradiction with Team Sky's "no needles, no TUEs in competition" declaration needs to be cleared up.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.