So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

80 watchers
Oct 2016
7:42pm, 7 Oct 2016
4,768 posts
  •  
Winded
I think you dramatically overestimate the degree of record keeping they can reasonably be expected to have.

I also think that if they were doping and incredibly organised they wouldn't be flying packages anywhere at the 11th hour. It was probably a box of chocolates for someone's birthday.

I simply don't think that not knowing about a specific delivery says anything either way and to quote it in a headline as though it was scurrilous evidence is misleading mud chucking in the hope some people will see it as sticky even when it isn't. Unpleasant gutter journalism of the type the British tabloids have elevated to an art form.
Oct 2016
7:44pm, 7 Oct 2016
4,769 posts
  •  
Winded
For clarity
"So Winded you think it's acceptable for a professional organisation to pay for one of their employees to fly to Europe for a day to hand deliver a package to another organisation without knowing what he is delivering?"
No, the week after I expect them to know. But this is an organisation that does an awful lot of flying people around and years later asking about one thing is just unreasonable. It is like someone saying I should know why I took a particular car journey last week - I could probably tell you but ask me in 5 years and I would just be guessing - even if I still have my expenses receipts and diary I could probably not tell you what a meeting was about.
Oct 2016
7:48pm, 7 Oct 2016
3,556 posts
  •  
Nelly
I work in an engineering consultancy, within a couple of hours (not 2-weeks), I could tell you what was in every parcel that has left the office in the last 10 years; it's called Quality Assurance. If BC don't have a QA process then their "marginal gains" claim is worthless.
Oct 2016
7:53pm, 7 Oct 2016
4,770 posts
  •  
Winded
Really? So the parcels you send out I imagine are related to engineering products. Compare that to a team of cyclists and physics and mechanics and others who move around on tour and all have parcels going backwards and forwards.

QA = marginal gain= track every parcel sent to every person in the team/squad/support staff. That just isn't reasonable. It makes a good headline unless you actually think about it. For an engineering company it might make sense but not for a sports team; the quality of things they are assuring is just not the same.
Oct 2016
7:54pm, 7 Oct 2016
4,771 posts
  •  
Winded
physics? physios is what I was going for there
Oct 2016
7:59pm, 7 Oct 2016
4,772 posts
  •  
Winded
Anyway "If BC don't have a QA process then their "marginal gains" claim is worthless" - no is isn't. That just isn't true. Sure they would need to monitor things to see what they were doing but that is just not the same as knowing what was in some box 5 years ago.
Oct 2016
10:05pm, 7 Oct 2016
34,630 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
British Cycling did exactly the right thing by telling the DM, "We will communicate with UKAD, not with you."
Oct 2016
8:50am, 8 Oct 2016
14,723 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
I agree with Nelly - any organisation worth its chips should be tracking the contents of parcels/deliveries. I would have thought medical supplies would definitely be on the list of things to monitor.
Oct 2016
9:21am, 8 Oct 2016
3,558 posts
  •  
Nelly
TT - especially if those medical supplies were to be ingested by/injected into professional athletes. You'd expect them to keep records indefinitely of suppliers, batch numbers etc for anti-doping purposes (future re-tests, contamination, etc).

Although I take V'raps point about only talking to UKAD, but if that's the case then why say anything to DM ("we don't know", "it's not X").
Oct 2016
11:02am, 8 Oct 2016
21,796 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
bbc.co.uk

It's coming. How do the squeaky clean British beat loads of cheating Foreign Johnnies full to the brim of all kinds of everything?

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.