Scottish Runners

86 watchers
Mar 2012
12:48pm, 11 Mar 2012
192 posts
  •  
jacs205
Damn, must learn not to agree to things when I've been on the wine! I'm doing Edinburgh in May (and the rock and roll half in April as a 'warm up'). Its funny though, I used to be perfectly content with a 10k and thought a half marathon was me being athletic ;) but the world of Fetch makes you start to think hmmm 33 miles doesn't sound 'that' bad does it, this place induces madness in us all!
Mar 2012
1:02pm, 11 Mar 2012
959 posts
  •  
Duchess
I think Scottish Fetchies are particularly susceptible to the lure of the "beyond-marathon" distance....! :-)
Mar 2012
2:14pm, 11 Mar 2012
1,269 posts
  •  
IanS
Agreed - I think that _andy fellow has a lot to do with it as well :-)
Mar 2012
2:21pm, 11 Mar 2012
1,026 posts
  •  
susietwoshoes
Perhaps it's encoded in the DNA.
Or perhaps it's just that most Scottish people are MENTAAAAL.....
Mar 2012
2:24pm, 11 Mar 2012
5,758 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
You go, Jacs! :-) I'm hoping to be at Fetchpoint for Edinburgh.

I can see the nature vs nurture debate flaring up...
Mar 2012
2:39pm, 11 Mar 2012
899 posts
  •  
shanksi
Mentalness is part of it, but I think there are a few other factors at play. Scotland is much more spread out, so there's usually travelling to any event - and you just start thinking "well if I'm going to drive for a couple of hours I should at least run a decent distance". There's also a lot of great scenery that just invites you to spend long days running or walking out there. And finally, there are certainly a few quite charismatic individuals who have encouraged a fair number of Scots to go beyond 26.2. They know who they are.
Mar 2012
2:56pm, 11 Mar 2012
5,759 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Well put, Shanksi.

I'm not one of those considering ultras just yet, but even in my much shorter runs, especially in venturing out into the hills and onto the trails, I have benefitted greatly from some great runners and Fetchies. :-) (Now, whether me not being on the ultra lists yet is due to me lacking the Scottish madness gene or not, I don't know... ;-))
Mar 2012
3:01pm, 11 Mar 2012
4,031 posts
  •  
Star x
yep - there are def a few fetchies who are very encouraging :-) I wouldnt have tried hill running without them! ultras are on the list - just not able to fully commit to them and the required training just yet!
Mar 2012
8:03pm, 11 Mar 2012
1,027 posts
  •  
susietwoshoes
My local hills have been sitting there all my life and despite being introduced to them by my Father at an early age I've more or less ignored them since the onset of puberty LOL. Running and competing in off road events took me back to them for which I am eternally grateful. Someday I may actually be brave enough to tackle an Ultra.
Mar 2012
9:39pm, 11 Mar 2012
7,828 posts
  •  
_andy
:-) hills, trails, ultras - can't beat 'em

Shanksi - spot on. There are inspiring folks out there that we have a lot to thank for their madness, encouragement and belief in us. I'm lucky to have met them.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gobi