Sailing - dinghies, yachts, inshore, coastal, ocean?! :-)

11 watchers
12 Sep
6:53pm, 12 Sep 2024
27,553 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Probably. That photo is definitely taken at Forfar Loch sailing club. I’ll ask H, she’ll probably know.
12 Sep
7:38pm, 12 Sep 2024
52,642 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Angus Clydesdale wrote:Have you considered a Wanderer? They seem popular at the moment.

HappyG(rrr) wrote:Is the Wanderer the modern version of the Wayfarer. Great size. Good price. How heavy are they to move around compared to a Feva? It's a bit bigger isn't it? G

I bought a Wanderer from Hartley Boats last year. It is smaller than a Wayfarer, although definitely of the same pedigree: stable, a good training boat, can be sailed hard but more usually found as a cruising boat. Both were designed by Ian Proctor. It is relatively "old fashioned" by comparison with modern designs - very much a boat that you sit in rather than on! It is a decent-size two-person boat, although will take three adults reasonably well. It is lighter than the Wayfarer and can, apparently, be retrieved single-handed up a slipway (which is definitely not true of the Wayfarer!). I have not yet tried to retrieve it single-handed, but the slipways at our club are quite steep and I would probably use the winch rather than risk doing myself any damage.

I am very pleased with it.

If you are looking at recent boats, be aware that Hartley have manufactured for some years (I think they took over the builder's licence about ten years ago?) two variants: a racing set up which has a stiffer hull and a cruising set up which has a different hull (I think a layer of something is omitted in the manufacturing process and so it would be worth knowing which one of these any boat that you might view is).
12 Sep
7:48pm, 12 Sep 2024
50,902 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Angus @Angus Clydesdale Bill Myles and he's invited me to view 9-12 Sat or 1-4 Sun. Would you be around either of these for an impromptu Fetchie meet up?

Synge - I'm not looking to race, so what would be the better hull for me, would you say?

:-) G
12 Sep
8:12pm, 12 Sep 2024
50,903 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's at Forfar Loch SC btw! Is Flying Scotsman still teaching there?! :-) G
13 Sep
8:50am, 13 Sep 2024
50,907 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Synge, you've made me look into Hartley (post 2006) versus original Wanderer - several improvements by them (they would claim), so I'm wondering if I need to go for a newer boat than the one on sale? A 2008/9 boat is a bit more than double what this chap is selling for, but might be worth me going for the slightly newer Hartley built boat? :-) G
13 Sep
6:55pm, 13 Sep 2024
52,651 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
That's a difficult one to answer, @HappyG(rrr). See what you think of the boat you view. There was nothing really "wrong" with the older Wanderers and that is why their popularity has endured.

The Hartley website says, in describing why their boat is better: "The main areas of discontent were the floor, which was very slippery. The boat was difficult to right after capsize and it came up full of water, this made the boat difficult to handle in heavy winds." It then goes on to acknowledge: "The previous Wanderer was a successful boat with thousands of Wanderer’s cruising and sailing throughout the UK".

As for the two drawbacks they refer to (and others have commented on too), if I was the seller of an Anglo Marine boat, I would say that, regarding slipping, you could stick some cheap non-slip patches onto the floor and, regarding capsizing, Wanderers really don't do a great deal of capsizing!

But the Hartley is a very nice boat! ;-)
14 Sep
3:34pm, 14 Sep 2024
50,920 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Synge, I'll keep an open mind when I see it tomorrow.

Final shout out to @Angus Clydesdale will you about tomorrow 13.00 - 16.00 at Forfar Loch? If so, be nice to meet you (and shamelessly pick your brains on dinghy purchasing! ;-) ) Cheers, :-) G
14 Sep
7:03pm, 14 Sep 2024
43,804 posts
  •  
Nellers
Can I ask a question of the experts? Watching the America's Cup racing and there have been a few occasions where there's an announcement by the race committee that they're changing the position of one of the gates, and therefore the length of the course, during racing.

Is this a normal thing in racing? Seems a bit dodgy to me to change the course after racing has started. Literally moving the goalposts! And would this be dud to a shift in wind direction or wind speed, perhaps?
14 Sep
8:49pm, 14 Sep 2024
50,921 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
We get course changes last minute due to wind shifts in club racing. And I've seen a race curtailed due to worsening weather. But never seen a course changed during a race. But then, we're not Americas cup level! ;-) :-) G
15 Sep
3:14am, 15 Sep 2024
43,807 posts
  •  
Nellers
Happened again twice during a single race yesterday. Once to shorten the course, then again to shift the axis. Curious how they shift the marker buoys but the cameras are watching the race, not the admin!

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Arrrr, yo ho ho ho, ahoy there me hearties heart etc.

Pirate speech optional.

Might just be me and Angus Clydesdale, but anyone else into sailing? I'm just getting back to dinghy sailing and loving it. I got canoe during lockdown cos a mate at work cajoled me into it. Then paddleboards because of the good people on the Kayaking and Canoeing thread. But when it's windy, paddling is hard. Sailing is so much better.

So... anyone? :-) G