•  
neufalabonk
I've not received an fmail.
23 Aug
5:36pm, 23 Aug 2024
50,768 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Maybe drop Fetch a message. I think he probably gathered names from either this thread or those that expressed interest via blog comment? I'm sure all donations would be gratefully received. The bench and the location sound lovely.

Hope he won't mind this excerpt from the description...

I've finally placed the order for Swittle's memorial bench. It's a refurbishment of a 'tired' bench, with a new plaque attached.

It will be near the South Road entrance inside Marine Gardens in Crosby. Looking at his log, this is where he'd start a lot of his local runs. I am imagining him strolling down South Road from his house to warm up, before checking his shoelaces on his bench, and then setting off to survey his iron men.

The plaque on the bench reads:
STEVE WHITTLE
1953-2024
"Running every day makes exceedingly good sense to me"

This is a quote from a blog he wrote in October 2016:
fetcheveryone.com/blog/16879/2016/10/358800

It comes from the penultimate paragraph, which reads:

"All that I've done, I've hugely enjoyed and wouldn't have embraced running any other way. Now, it's individual, solitary and still as valued but on different terms. When I trip or stumble, after placing heart back where it should be, I think of the years ahead when I'll no longer be capable of running. So, running every day makes exceeding good sense - to me, and that's what matters."

I modified it slightly, by accident - I used it in the eulogy at his funeral, and must have introduced the error when I typed it. I am sure he would have pointed this out to me, but I also figure he would have been kind about it.

If you would like to make a small donation towards the cost of the bench, please use the following bank details. There are about 170 of you on this list, and the bench service cost £200, so small donations are perfectly fine.
23 Aug
6:05pm, 23 Aug 2024
31,023 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I grabbed the list from the poll about the bench from earlier this year.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lip Gloss
Never met him in person but always came across as a lovely man.

If you read about his nightly beach runs you could almost have been running along beside him.

He always encouraged others especially on the How was your run thread.

Hope all your beach run are still as perfect as they were while you were here xx

Funeral 5th April 1.30pm at the Thornton Garden of Rest, Lydiate Ln, Thornton, Liverpool L23 1TP

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.