25 Oct
7:52pm, 25 Oct 2024
46,516 posts
  •  
SPR
Seems the US papers are a bit scared.

Washington Post declines to endorse presidential candidate

bbc.co.uk

"It follows a similar announcement from the Los Angeles Times last week, which said it was not endorsing a presidential candidate this year.

The editorials editor at the Los Angeles Times resigned after the company's decision.

"I am resigning because I want to make it clear that I am not okay with us being silent," Mariel Garza told the Columbia Journalism Review. "In dangerous times, honest people need to stand up. This is how I’m standing up.""
25 Oct
8:00pm, 25 Oct 2024
23,318 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
This feels relevant given today's discussions.

abcnews.go.com
25 Oct
9:19pm, 25 Oct 2024
6,795 posts
  •  
paulcook
richmac wrote:Awww has his crowd funding run out ?

First I saw of the news he was after more already.

His supporters are unfortunately brainwashed. Like the old fella who killed himself in prison. He’d been pictured with all the usual conspiracy theories yet none of them will admit they’d brainwashed him.
25 Oct
9:54pm, 25 Oct 2024
6,796 posts
  •  
paulcook
SPR wrote:Seems the US papers are a bit scared. Washington Post declines to endorse presidential candidate bbc.co.uk "

She’s standing against Hitler. In his own effing words this week. How hard is it to endorse the other one?

Wow.
25 Oct
10:28pm, 25 Oct 2024
33,317 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
All the constraints are falling away, one by one. In my catastrophising brain I am thinking of a summit with Trump, Xi, Putin and Kim all smiling for the camera like Fascist Goonies.
SPR
25 Oct
10:33pm, 25 Oct 2024
46,517 posts
  •  
SPR
The article was breaking news when I posted it but Bezos as owner stopped a Harris endorsement. The billionaire owner of the LA Times also stopped a Harris endorsement.
SPR
25 Oct
10:35pm, 25 Oct 2024
46,518 posts
  •  
SPR
Think it clear the best answer to who will win the election is we don't know. They are obviously considering the prospect of a Trump victory.
25 Oct
10:39pm, 25 Oct 2024
6,797 posts
  •  
paulcook
Millionaires Musk and Bezos both backing (directly or indirectly) Trump then. Probably not a surprise.

Still, disillusioning that the Washington Post can't or won't back the non-fascist candidate.
25 Oct
10:53pm, 25 Oct 2024
33,318 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
They can see the authoritarian train heading towards them and they have folded. Pathetic. Not a good sign.
SPR
26 Oct
9:28am, 26 Oct 2024
46,519 posts
  •  
SPR
It's always about themselves. With Bezos it's about government contracts he's worried about losing.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.