Politics

214 watchers
25 Oct
3:36pm, 25 Oct 2024
6,792 posts
  •  
paulcook
That's the nicest thing anyone has said about me. Thanks G.

πŸ˜‰
25 Oct
3:39pm, 25 Oct 2024
23,315 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
paulcook wrote:rf_fozzy wrote:paulcook wrote:Where did I say that?.

You equated professional pollsters with nonserious prediction methods.

Critique their work by all means, but don't equate them with the magic 8 ball or whatever the Octopus that was used at football world cups.
25 Oct
3:44pm, 25 Oct 2024
23,316 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
And yes it makes me cross, because it's the same sort of line of argument that was made regarding climate change, was made during brexit etc.

experts (in this case polling experts) cannot be trusted or are no different to the man on the street.

Social Sciences have just as much intellectual rigour to them as STEM subjects. To dismiss those efforts as no better than a "magic octopus" is just poor.
25 Oct
3:47pm, 25 Oct 2024
33,315 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think the octopus was called Paul.

"Paul correctly predicted the results of all seven of Germany's matches, including a surprise loss to Serbia in the group stage. He also correctly predicted Spain's victory over the Netherlands in the final."

Same person as Paul Cook? Has anyone seen them in the same tank together?
jda
25 Oct
3:51pm, 25 Oct 2024
17,994 posts
  •  
jda
highwaysmagazine.co.uk

"Casualties fall by 28% after Wales 20mph limit"

No doubt someone will be along to say they haven't read it but it must be wrong or irrelevant someone.
25 Oct
3:53pm, 25 Oct 2024
6,793 posts
  •  
paulcook
Johnny Blaze wrote:Same person as Paul Cook? Has anyone seen them in the same tank together?

Good question !

Climate change is made up.
Brexit is brilliant.
Trump will win.

Sorry, for the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, this post is not to be taken seriously in the slightest. Or should it?
25 Oct
4:01pm, 25 Oct 2024
23,317 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy

This is what I was trying to say this morning and why it probably tips to Trump.

Image from Nate Silver's substack: natesilver.net

Data I believe is from the NYT/Sienna College polling.
25 Oct
4:26pm, 25 Oct 2024
33,316 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Assuming you are right, they have big trouble coming.

On the other hand, her net favourability rating is "still" better than Trump and there continues to be an anti-Trump majority in the country.

I do wonder if Trump Fatigue will come into the final mix. Perhaps enough people will look at the prospect of another 4 years of his nonsense and say, "Nah. Been there, done that, turn the page."
25 Oct
6:01pm, 25 Oct 2024
6,794 posts
  •  
paulcook
Yaxley-Lennon remanded in custody. And just a day before various marches and protests in London. Definitely won’t be any trouble tomorrow. Excellent. πŸ™„πŸ˜¬
25 Oct
6:08pm, 25 Oct 2024
29,808 posts
  •  
richmac
Awww has his crowd funding run out ?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.