Bob!
I think this says it all

SPR
4:38pm
4:38pm, 9 Oct 2024
46,375 posts
  •  
SPR
Has this been posted before? Lots of interesting stuff here, including most of the switch to Labour coming from Lib Dems not Tories (most of their switchers were to Reform).

How Britain voted in the 2024 general election

yougov.co.uk

Some of that suggests the Tories are in trouble regardless. The younger voters have a 'better' right wing party but maybe they can use the FPTP system to convince them to switch (I'm not convinced that happens unless Reform want it to).

Labour don't have that type of problem on the face of it yet, but there were loss and reduced majorities in areas that were seen as strong pre election related to the strategy of neglecting their base. As the candidates that did the damage were independent there isn't a party that can benefit at this point.
5:23pm
5:23pm, 9 Oct 2024
6,653 posts
  •  
paulcook
That's kind of what I mean the political picture is fractured. Labour face as much of a threat from the left as they do from the right. But as much as the left have laughed that Starmer got fewer votes than Corbyn, the left don't have anywhere near enough base to challenge for many seats at all - the 9 that Green/independents won was hailed as brilliant. That's barely a ripple on the Westminster picture. Now that the Tories have lurched even further to the right, Labour can occupy a huge centre ground. And under FPTP - enormous mistakes aside - they'll easily keep power.
5:25pm
5:25pm, 9 Oct 2024
7,769 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I sincerely hope you're right, but after the brexit vote, I don't trust the UK public not to get conned by the right again
5:26pm
5:26pm, 9 Oct 2024
7,770 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I mean, in what rational world did Trump get elected. We shouldn't con ourselves that it can't happen here
J2R
5:37pm
5:37pm, 9 Oct 2024
5,642 posts
  •  
J2R
I'm with ThorntonRunner here. On the face of it, those of a centrist or leftist disposition should welcome this result, as it should mean that the Conservatives are unlikely to be voted in again any time soon. But I have no faith any more that a majority of people won't vote for the suicidally stupid option.
5:44pm
5:44pm, 9 Oct 2024
6,654 posts
  •  
paulcook
Oh, it's definitely possible. We're seeing similar results across Europe. But Labour hold power, and with power some ability - let's leave right-wing press out for a second - to dictate the narrative by doing stuff. Yes, they're doing the unpopular stuff early, but if they shed the negative attitudes that I think even they've acknowledged, then they really ought to be looking at how to win a second term already.

That post above from Bob also kind of (pride before a fall, aside) says that too.

I'd suggest extremism only works when people have less to hold on to. Because some of them don't offer any solutions and flake under any real questioning.
5:50pm
5:50pm, 9 Oct 2024
33,219 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
They seem like a charmless, heartless pair and I think they both have a streak of sociopathy in them. They will shift right, as they did after Blair handed their arse to them in 1997.

Plenty of popcorn material.
J2R
5:53pm
5:53pm, 9 Oct 2024
5,643 posts
  •  
J2R
paulcook, that only works if they are actually credited with doing stuff. With the power of social media now and an overwhelmingly right wing press, it is possible for people to be kept in a state of delusion such that they cannot (or choose not to) see these things. I used to think that if a government presided over a period of economic prosperity, they would inevitably be, if not popular, at least not so unpopular. But this certainly doesn't seem to have worked out for Biden in the States.
jda
6:40pm
6:40pm, 9 Oct 2024
17,908 posts
  •  
jda
FFS. Which one to vote for? Previously in recent years there’s at least been a least bad option. This time it’s basically the two worst crazies.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.