32,954 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Is the big message:

"We need to rebuild public finances"

or is it

"We need to rebuild public services and tackle social inequality and injustice"

Aye, there's the rub.

The latter message would be more palatable it seems to me.
27 Aug
12:06pm, 27 Aug 2024
25,431 posts
  •  
larkim
What about "We need to rebuild public finances so that we can start to tackle social inequality and injustice"?
27 Aug
12:07pm, 27 Aug 2024
32,955 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
A bit of both is probably where they land.
SPR
27 Aug
12:10pm, 27 Aug 2024
45,845 posts
  •  
SPR
Specifically not reversing the NI cut seems stupid at this point. Will wait to hear what they actually do.

Not really surprising there's issues given 14 years of cuts, the issue is there's only so much that can be justified by saying it's worse than they thought.
27 Aug
1:21pm, 27 Aug 2024
29,055 posts
  •  
richmac
larkim wrote:What about "We need to rebuild public finances so that we can start to tackle social inequality and injustice"?

Isn't that what Osboune said austerity was for ?
27 Aug
1:28pm, 27 Aug 2024
25,433 posts
  •  
larkim
Even if he did, I'd still wager there's more chance of the iniquities being tackled by this govt than by one Osborne was sitting in.
27 Aug
1:36pm, 27 Aug 2024
21,715 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
larkim wrote:"It's only when the US talk about "public schools" that confusion reigns, as (for obvious and logical reasons) that means the public-funded schools, i.e. what we'd call "state schools" normally.
I remember a 1990s Tory education secretary doing a camera piece with the head of a US School in front of assorted journalists, attempting to justify some kind of privatisation or copying something from the US.

"What percentage of your funding comes from the state?", "About 60%". "That's fantastic," said the Tory minister, "that's what we should be trying to emulate in the UK". "Where does the rest come from?" one of the journos shouted. "Oh, the federal goverment."
SPR
27 Aug
1:44pm, 27 Aug 2024
45,847 posts
  •  
SPR
Pretty sure Cameron's thing was the big society so the government doesn't do it, people in the community do, so they could cut more.
27 Aug
1:59pm, 27 Aug 2024
50,779 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
larkim wrote:What about "We need to rebuild public finances so that we can start to tackle social inequality and injustice"?

That's the fallacy (in my opinion) I was trying to ask this thread about. Why do you believe that then larkim, as you have answered, albeit the opposite to my answer!

:-) G
27 Aug
2:36pm, 27 Aug 2024
29,057 posts
  •  
richmac
larkim wrote:Even if he did, I'd still wager there's more chance of the iniquities being tackled by this govt than by one Osborne was sitting in.

I agree 100%, I was drawing attention to the lie of Austerity & how labour may get tarred with the same brush

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.