Politics

24 lurkers | 212 watchers
27 Aug
8:09am, 27 Aug 2024
29,052 posts
  •  
richmac
Bazoaxe wrote:I was also confused at first but think he means getting a 20% discount by not paying vat. That’s not unreasonable if the parents are not uk tax payers. I am not sure there will be many people in that position though. More likely at university than school

Then why not have the VAT paid on fees and parents who don't pay UK tax can claim it back?

But it's goods or service so why shouldn't it be taxed in the same way as everything else?
27 Aug
8:20am, 27 Aug 2024
3,446 posts
  •  
Muttley
If I live and earn abroad, no reason why I should pay UK taxes on my earnings. But if I make purchases in the UK I should pay whatever sales or value-added taxes apply. No tax-free baked beans, or private school fees.
jda
27 Aug
8:46am, 27 Aug 2024
17,691 posts
  •  
jda
Public/private nomenclature is a historical thing. The idea of a school that the general public could attend - at a price! - was a bit of a novelty at the time. Also they are/were normally nonprofit institutions, not really the private sector in a business sense. Hence (in part) charitable status. Of course in a time of universal state-funded education they are an anachronism that entrenches privilege.
3M
27 Aug
10:25am, 27 Aug 2024
24,637 posts
  •  
3M
Thanks @jda. That's a nioce simple explanation (and I agree with your final statement 100%).
SPR
27 Aug
10:50am, 27 Aug 2024
45,843 posts
  •  
SPR
BBC LIVE Budget will be painful, Starmer warns in Downing Street speech.

bbc.co.uk
27 Aug
11:32am, 27 Aug 2024
32,952 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
High stakes budget. If it's all pain and no gain they will have a big problem.

There needs to be a sense of things being fixed, declines being reversed, inequalities being addressed.

If it's all pain just to stand still they are in for a tough time of it. Blaming the other guys only gets you so far.
27 Aug
11:40am, 27 Aug 2024
50,777 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
In Scotland we tend not to use the expression "public school" for fee paying secondary education. We call them private school. Don't know why but either less confusing or more, depending on how you look at it.

Should be abolished or at least force the institutions to take in minimum 50% for free from less privileged backgrounds. Or some other way of levelling the playing field.

Can someone explain to me why Labour govt cannot increase taxes on the wealthy hugely and/or borrow more to improve society, not just cut spending? (Today's Starmer announcement).

Grrr.
27 Aug
11:52am, 27 Aug 2024
25,429 posts
  •  
larkim
"Public school" tends to refer to the higher end of the "private school" sector in England. The Eton, Harrow, Westminster etc type schools. Not sure there is any really clear distinction beyond that.

I think we all know what we mean when we say "public school" or "private school". It's only when the US talk about "public schools" that confusion reigns, as (for obvious and logical reasons) that means the public-funded schools, i.e. what we'd call "state schools" normally. Though equally we have "grammar schools" over here, which (depending where you live) could be "state" or "private". e.g. in Trafford they are "state", but in Bury the grammar school is private.
27 Aug
11:56am, 27 Aug 2024
32,953 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The government's first Budget in October is "going to be painful", the prime minister said, adding he has no other choice and those with the broadest shouldest "should bear the heavier burden"

Seems pretty clear to me.

CGT parity with income tax bands for example. Second home owners getting a beating. Windfall tax on land sales. Dunno.

My guess is he is going to upset a lot of people who have done very nicely out of rising house prices and low tax rates, but that's the legacy of 40 years of Thatcherism. He won't turn that mindset around in a hurry.
jda
27 Aug
11:58am, 27 Aug 2024
17,692 posts
  •  
jda
Because they are scared of the press, basically.

And bear in mind that it's not just the owners, senior journalists on national papers are extremely well paid themselves (junior reporters on local papers are another matter). When even right-on trendy lefties like the Newsagents gang talk about inheritance tax, they are almost certainly talking about something that actually affects them and their families, rather than the 96% who don't have reason to think about it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.