Politics

21 lurkers | 212 watchers
27 Aug
4:15pm, 27 Aug 2024
25,439 posts
  •  
larkim
No reason why taxing the right people shouldn't be done. That would probably include me and my family, and I'm happy to increase my contribution. I've no particular view about borrowing, other than the old fashioned Keynsian stuff that borrowing to "invest" in the country can and should play its part in wealth creation.

Bottom line is that fixing things costs money, at least in the short term. Hence the early line of attack on taxing / borrowing and the black hole.
27 Aug
4:16pm, 27 Aug 2024
25,440 posts
  •  
larkim
And yes, not lost on me that the Brexit word is ignored.
27 Aug
4:18pm, 27 Aug 2024
25,441 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't think it would be fair of me to say Brexit commentary is "whatabouttery", but it would not be 100% of the answer. So, if that is agreed (?), what other critiques are available beyond the Brexit one?
27 Aug
4:32pm, 27 Aug 2024
7,642 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
For me, fixing the NHS and sorting out the care system are paramount, and if you want to talk about "British values" the NHS is the epitome of that. Given that if additional taxation/prudent borrowing is required so be it, and I'd look to fund the care system through inheritance tax. After all, at the moment, those who are unlucky enough to need significant care are seeing their inheritance go on those costs. I'd invoke the British value of us sharing those types of costs, with those most able to pay contributing the most
jda
27 Aug
4:34pm, 27 Aug 2024
17,697 posts
  •  
jda
The overarching critique is that the “household budget” analogy is completely wrong and has been the cause of untold harm over decades. I think it was probably Thatcher who popularised it more than anyone, and I can see how people would accept it, but political leaders really need to be aware of economic reality.

Money actually does grow on trees, at the national level.
SPR
27 Aug
4:36pm, 27 Aug 2024
45,851 posts
  •  
SPR
I've seen a clip from NewsAgents essentially saying this is Osborne's legacy.
SPR
27 Aug
4:41pm, 27 Aug 2024
45,852 posts
  •  
SPR
x.com
27 Aug
4:57pm, 27 Aug 2024
25,442 posts
  •  
larkim
Agree with the economics 101 position there jda - govts have massive flexibility.

However, the old oil tanker analogy is still there; even if the govt decided to harvest from the magic money tree in a way never seen before, the UK's problems wouldn't be solved by Christmas.
jda
27 Aug
6:09pm, 27 Aug 2024
17,698 posts
  •  
jda
Yebbut what’s Christmas got to do with anything? Did someone say “if we can’t do it by Christmas we shouldn’t try”?
27 Aug
6:49pm, 27 Aug 2024
21,668 posts
  •  
Dave W
Liz Truss considered scrapping all cancer treatment on the NHS in a desperate bid to repair the damage caused by her disastrous economic policies, according to a new book.

WTAF!

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.