Politics

19 lurkers | 212 watchers
27 Aug
6:59pm, 27 Aug 2024
22,076 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Starmer is Osborne mk II. Where is fields when you need him?

Even the bloody Torygraph (checks notes), yes indeed the Telegraph is bigging up a land value tax, starting off with Churchill references, and basically saying the main down side is our property prices go down. Which of course is a massive upside. Sign me up!!! (caveat: it's a bit more complicated than that, as even the article explains, but when you can indulge in a bit of leftwing tub thumping simplism, why not?)

telegraph.co.uk

Everyone admits council tax is completely unfit for purpose and it just seems like it can be used to pry property away from landbankers and persuade people to sell up land that could be built on rather than the highest bidder. (yes, yes, over simplifying again, I know, I know sigh).

But Starmer out, Churchill in (liberal version minus the appalling racism).
27 Aug
7:27pm, 27 Aug 2024
32,957 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Dave W wrote:Liz Truss considered scrapping all cancer treatment on the NHS in a desperate bid to repair the damage caused by her disastrous economic policies, according to a new book. WTAF!

The explanation for this is simple: she's a fucking idiot.
27 Aug
7:28pm, 27 Aug 2024
32,958 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
RICHARD SCOTT, DUKE OF BUCCLEUCH & QUEENSBERRY 280,000 Acres.

How much tax does he pay on that then?

And more's to the point: how did he get it. Robber baron shizzle I expect.
27 Aug
7:30pm, 27 Aug 2024
32,959 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The substantial origin of the ducal house of the Scotts of Buccleuch dates back to the large grants of lands in Scotland to Sir Walter Scott of Kirkurd and Buccleuch, a border chief, by King James II, in consequence of the fall of the 8th Earl of Douglas (1452)
27 Aug
7:30pm, 27 Aug 2024
32,960 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
That's alright then.
27 Aug
8:02pm, 27 Aug 2024
11,537 posts
  •  
Fields
Meanwhile in France, Macron is orchestrating a Trump-like Coup and ignoring an election result he lost as the opposition parties united both against his own dead parrot party and the NF.

Macron is having talks with the far right, seems like he’s happy to ignore the French electorate to stay in power. The illusion of democracy.

aljazeera.com

Perhaps the next election over side of the channel should have some Russian observers to ensure a fair result is reached.
27 Aug
8:50pm, 27 Aug 2024
6,292 posts
  •  
paulcook
Chrisull wrote:Starmer is Osborne mk II.

Change. 🤷‍♂️
3M
27 Aug
9:06pm, 27 Aug 2024
24,646 posts
  •  
3M
Do we consider Al Jazeera a reputable and reliable source? Not somewhere I'd normally consult, so I'm curious.
27 Aug
9:12pm, 27 Aug 2024
6,293 posts
  •  
paulcook
This suggests it is. Quite markedly so.

adfontesmedia.com

Wikipedia also deems it reliable - NB it doesn't deem the Daily Mail as reliable and hasn't for years.
27 Aug
9:19pm, 27 Aug 2024
69,492 posts
  •  
LindsD
I think so.

Welcome back Fields

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.