Politics

21 lurkers | 212 watchers
23 Aug
2:23pm, 23 Aug 2024
22,938 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
AFAIK the states have to pass legislation to apportion EV from their state in a different method to winner takes all.

I thought the states that talked about it post-2020 hadn't passed any legislation to that effect.

So any Trumpy Secs of State for those states would be breaking state law if they tried to certify the results differently.
23 Aug
2:24pm, 23 Aug 2024
22,939 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Btw, Liz Truss regains her rightful position of shortest lived PM today as Starmer overtakes her.
23 Aug
2:28pm, 23 Aug 2024
22,064 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah I do think so, ultimately that outside of a 270-270 result, it will pretty much resolve itself to the winner.

@larkim - these weren't the articles I originally read, but in a very similar area.

Georgia certification chaos looms, allowing electors to overturn a Trump loss:

georgiarecorder.com

Weird scenarios:

thehill.com
23 Aug
2:40pm, 23 Aug 2024
22,940 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I can't see Georgia being the tipping point state.

If Harris is winning Georgia, she's probably already won the ECV.

It does look like what Georgia have done is open themselves to legal challenges....
23 Aug
4:38pm, 23 Aug 2024
22,066 posts
  •  
Chrisull
@larkim - For 1968 , try the Rest is history 353 and 354 on the Students Revolt and the return of De Gaulle after he fled the country. 1968 was big, for a moment it looked like it might succeed, even Holland and Sandbrook say as much.
23 Aug
4:41pm, 23 Aug 2024
22,067 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah I agree on Georgia, I'm sure I read some crap stuff about Arizona possibly dividing the electors but can't find the source now. I think it would totally be up to legal challenges, but I don't think a losing Trump necessarily tries to win these challenges, rather than creates chaos and delay into which he can interject himself.

300 seats plus for Harris and I'm pretty certain that all the bluster disappears within minutes other than on Twitter.
23 Aug
4:43pm, 23 Aug 2024
25,419 posts
  •  
larkim
I was reading the wiki article about 1968 - hilarious insofar as it ran through these worldwide protests, particularly France but also Eastern Bloc etc and then for the UK it says "A series of art school occupations quickly spread throughout the UK during May and July 1968."

I bet the authorities were quaking in their boots over here; if art school is lost, what next?!?

en.wikipedia.org

I have plenty of gaps in my knowledge though, so at worst The Searchers is filling in some blanks for me.
23 Aug
4:44pm, 23 Aug 2024
32,944 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The vast majority of the legal challenges in 2020 were thrown out in pretty short order I seem to recall. But I'm also betting they will have learned from the experience and they will be up to all sorts of new shenanigans. Then there is the possibility of intimidation at the polling stations and all the rest of it.

Once Texas goes Blue in 10 years or so the Reps know they will struggle to win another election. A sensible party might adjust its electoral offer, but these chumps seem determined to try and fiddle the results by whatever means necessary.

Then there is the possibility that voters in some of these states may not take too kindly to having their votes ignored by Trump... it could get very messy very quickly.

But any potential fake electors would do well to contemplate the fate of those who participated in the steal attempt in 2020 and take a step backwards. Trump will throw them under the bus without a second thought.
23 Aug
4:45pm, 23 Aug 2024
22,069 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah I think he's a bit kind to Corbyn definitely. But he does encapsulates Benn's chaos, ideas and nonsense, moderation and radicalism, almost PM and also totally unelectable.
23 Aug
4:55pm, 23 Aug 2024
32,945 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Former President Donald Trump on Thursday appeared to publicly acknowledge he lost the 2020 election and said he came up “just a little bit short,” despite regularly lying about the last presidential election he lost and falsely claiming it was rigged.

“I got many millions more votes than I got the first time but didn’t quite make it — just a little bit short,” Trump said during a campaign event at the US-Mexico border in Arizona on Thursday.

Bless him, he's finally recognising reality, the little scamp.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.